33- After All This Time

Felix's POV

I know what I have to do now. I need to go home and see my mother.

Adrien and Marinette come climbing back down through the skylight, disgustingly holding hands, and they share a quick kiss.

I roll my eyes. Gross.

"Thanks for watching the kwamis," Adrien says sarcastically, gesturing to the three creatures playing dress up in Marinette's fabric scraps. "I didn't think our heart-to-heart would have an audience."

"I am not a babysitter. A kwami-sitter."

Marinette snorts. "Heh, that's funny."

"I'm going home."

"H-Home?" My cousin questions. "Like you're going back to hide in London?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm going to see my mother."

"As Adrien?" Marinette asks.

"What are you two not getting? I'm going home. I'm going to explain everything to my mother."

Their eyes widen in sync. "Really?!" They both shout.

"But I thought you said it wasn't safe?" Marinette reminds me.

"No matter what I do, it isn't safe, but the longer I wait, the more danger my mother could be in."

Adrien frowns. "This is really bad, isn't it, Felix?"

"If my mother truly thinks you're responsible for my disappearance, Marinette, then I need to clear things up before she starts a partnership with my uncle. He always knows the right thing to say, how to bend and manipulate your emotions to his will. I can't let him do that to my mother."

"Do you want to go now?" Adrien asks.

"I..." My head spins as I suddenly feel nauseous. My stomach knots up. "I feel strange."

"About seeing your mom?" The pig-tailed girl asks.

"My stomach is unsettled. I haven't seen her in eight months. How can I face her now?"

My cousin slowly nods. "Ah, that's guilt you're feeling."

"Guilt?"

He nods. "Even though you lied and disappeared to protect your mother, you still feel guilty. Your absence caused her nothing but pain and misery."

Marinette smacks his arm. "Are you trying to make him feel better or worse?"

"What?" Adrien raises his arms up in defense. "I'm just saying I understand! Because I feel the same way... with you, Marinette... about seeing my father in secret..."

"I'd like to go see her now. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll change my mind."

Adrien and Marinette both nod.

After all this time, I'm finally going home.

***

My cousin told me my mother's room was the third one at the end of the hallway on the second floor. I stand still outside her door, arm raised and I'm about to knock when I wait.

What do I say to her? How can I possibly explain everything that happened? No, Felix. You can't back out now. Sighing, I knock two times on the door.

"Uh, come in!" My mother shouts from inside.

A smile grows as my heart warms. I haven't heard her voice in so long. I open the door slowly and step in. I find my mother sitting at her vanity and I notice her poorly wiped mascara lines under her baggy eyes. She looks absolutely exhausted. It brings me to tears to see her like this.