21- A Kwami's Comfort

Marinette's POV

"Adrien!" I leap at the portal, but it closes before I can follow him. Falling to my knees, my shoulders slump forward and I cry into the carpet. "I lost... I lost Adrien."

"You didn't lose Adrien, Marinette," Felix says, standing in front of me as he offers his hand. "Now stop being so pathetic. You're better than this."

I smack his hand away and pull myself up. "You know, I have no problem hitting you again."

"Trust me, Adrien is not worth crying over. Besides, he'll come around. You just need to give him time."

"Time for what? To bail on me? To lie again?"

"You're telling me, you don't need time to process any of this?" Felix asks. "You just found out the identities of Paris' new villains. I know it's a pretty big shocker."

I sigh. "You're right. B-but... did I really break up with Adrien?"

"I don't know, did you?"

"I..." This is too much for me. "I think it's best if Adrien and I spend time apart, put some space between us. He was pretty angry when he left."

"How do I manage to get in the middle of your sappy love story every single time?" Felix mumbles, shaking his head.

I look up at Felix, remembering how fast he left earlier. He must have spoken with Lila. "So... where did you go?"

"Are you asking what happened between me and Lila?"

"Yes."

He rolls his eyes. "Lila's pissed, as I rightfully assumed, but she thinks I tricked her to get on her good side, that I'm trying to appeal to her. So, it worked out in the end."

"Am I safe now?"

Felix doesn't answer right away. "I would still watch your back if I were you, Marinette."

"I can't tell if that's a threat or a warning."

He grabs my hand and raises it to his lips, kissing my knuckles gently. "It's time to go home, Marinette."

I grab the medical file off the table. "I'm taking this to show Adrien."

"That's why I gave it to you, Marinette."

"Tikki, spots on." After transforming, I grab my yo-yo and put the medial file in, then access the miracle box. I pull out the horse miraculous. "Tikki, Kaalki, unify." The two kwamis merge as I become Pegabug. I raise my hand. "Voyage."

"See you soon, Marinette," Felix says with a wink. "It won't be long now."

"Goodbye, Felix." I step through the portal to my bedroom. I look around, hoping Adrien stayed behind so we could talk, but the room is empty. I'll just have to believe what Felix said, that Adrien will come around. I just need to give him time. What if I don't have any time to give?

"Tikki, Kaalki, divide. Spots off." I set the horse miraculous back in the box and climb up the loft to my bed. All the exhaustion, all the frustration, all the confusion and anger and sadness and emptiness hit me all at once. I fold into myself, bawling my eyes out, and my chest starts to ache as it tightens.

"I'm so pathetic!" I cry out as my kwamis surround me. "I'm a horrible friend. I'm a horrible girlfriend. I'm even the worst superhero in the world!"

Tikki nuzzles against my cheek. "Marinette, you can't say those things about yourself! You're a great superhero."

"Really? If I was such a great superhero, I wouldn't have lost the butterfly or peacock miraculous! Adrien would still have his ring—still have Plagg. Adrien wouldn't... hate me!"