22- Last Words

Gabriel's POV

'Who all is lost woes for the person they dream to be found'.

I drag my finger down the paper as I read, slowly turning the page of my book, and start a new chapter. Seems all I can do here is read. I'm not fond of socializing with the other inmates, but I keep myself healthy and in check must I deal in a disagreement or sums with them. I'd write, but I know Emelie, Nathalie, or Adrien wouldn't return my letters.

What's good a family if everyone turns their back on each other?

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Officer Van-Lischen step up to my cell. "Mr. Agreste, you have a visitor," He tells me, grabbing the handcuffs from his side. He taps them against the metal bars. "Let's go."

"Who is it?" I ask, shutting my book fast. "I'm not up for visitors today."

"You don't get many these days, anyway," He replies, gesturing for me to stand. "It's your son."

A smile grows on my face. "Adrien..."

I stand and walk over, raising my arms so Officer Van-Lischen can cuff me. He tightens them around my wrist, like always. I step back as the sliding cell door opens. I follow the guard through double doors and down a long, cold hallway.

Two visits back-to-back? How did I get so lucky?

Officer Van-Lischen opens a door. "You know the drill. You get a half hour to talk. Keep your arms visible."

"Yes, yes..." I mumble, having heard this plenty of times before.

Adrien waits in the middle booth, the phone already by his ear. As I walk over, I notice something different in his eyes. I can't quiet put my finger on it, yet.

I sit cross from him and grab the phone, raising it to my ear. "Hello, my son."

"Hello, father," He whispers, his cold eyes locked on me. His gaze darkens and I finally recognize the look in his eyes: anger.

He's angry... with me?

"What's wrong, Adrien?" I ask, studying him closely. His shoulders are straight. He doesn't break eye contact with me. He's... confident, almost? My eyes widen. My son is no longer afraid of me. "Talk to me."

"Talk? Now you want to talk?" Adrien mumbles, his free hand balling into a fist. "Funny, I didn't think you knew how to."

"What's with the aggression all of sudden? Clearly, I haven't done anything to deserve it, seeing how I've been stuck... here."

He laughs. "That's where you're wrong, Father. Even locked up, you still managed to ruin everything. Well, it was already ruined a long time ago. You just made it worse somehow. Seems like you've gotten pretty good at it."

"Even in this prison, I am still your father, Adrien, and I will be spoken to with respect."

"Nope." Adrien shakes his head. "Wrong again. I will speak to you, but it's up to me if I show you respect or not."

"How dare you—"

"You want respect? I want a father!" Adrien shouts as he punches the glass. His eyes start to glisten with tears. "All I ever wanted was a father! You couldn't do that for me. You abused me, neglected me, ignored me. You talked over me. You never listened to me. If I wasn't talking about modeling or the Agreste brand, you didn't care what I had to say! You just couldn't wait to shut me up and lock yourself in your office, in your work. You couldn't even have dinner with me! You couldn't spare me a conversation. I can't keep pretending that your absence doesn't hurt."