24- A Mother's Hope

Adrien's POV- The Next Morning

I open my eyes and see Marinette sleeping beside me, softly breathing. She's so beautiful. Reaching out, I grab a strand of loose hair that fell out of her ponytail and tuck it behind her ear. As my finger grazes her cheek, her eyes blink open and she stares at me. "Good morning," I tell her, knowing this moment is about to end.

"Morning," She whispers back, and I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I swear for a mere second she glances at my lips. No, she couldn't have. "What time is it?"

I roll away from her and check my phone. "Almost nine-thirty."

"Wow, we slept in," She says, sitting up, and she turns her back to me. Guess morning cuddles are out of the question. "Before your mother realizes you're home, we need to talk, Adrien."

"Okay..."

Marinette stands up. "Tikki, spots on." Ladybug takes her place and she opens her yo-yo, reaching for something inside. She pulls out a blue folder, turning to hand it to me. "Adrien, your aunt... she faked her heart attack."

"What?"

"This is your aunt's medical file, or rather a fake one. She and the doctor made an agreement to fake her condition."

Confused, I open the folder, and read through a contract and bank statements. Marinette's right. Aunt Amelie did fake her heart attack. "But... this doesn't make sense. Why would she?"

"Felix and I—"

"Oh, not him again."

"Adrien..." Ladybug kneels down and grabs my hand. "Part of the reason we broke up is because we didn't listen to each other. Please, you need to hear me now."

Nodding, I say, "You're right. I'm sorry, continue."

"Felix thinks his mother suspects you might have something to do with his disappearance. So, your aunt faked a heart attack so she could guilt you into staying home, where she could keep an eye on you."

"How could she possibly think I'd have something to do with Felix's disappearance? Granted, he's not really missing—technically—but it hurts she would assume I'd hurt Felix."

The bedroom door slams open. My eyes widen as Mom rushes in, and before she can notice, I hide the medical folder under the mattress. "I thought... I thought I heard your voice!" She runs over and hugs me tight. "I was so scared! So worried... you weren't answering your phone and I couldn't find you."

"I'm okay, Mom."

She leans back and cups my face. "You scared me nearly half to death!" She finally notices the spotted hero in my bedroom and looks over at her. "Oh... good morning, Ladybug."

"Hello, Mrs. Agreste," Ladybug greets, and as her eyes widen, I know she's trying to find a reason for her being here. "Uh, you're probably wondering why I'm here. I, uh... heard Adrien had run away, so I went looking for him, and I... convinced him to come home! Can't have my partner gone now, right?" She forces a laugh. "And here he is! Well, obviously, you can see him. Hehe."

It's probably a good thing if we don't admit to my mother that Ladybug had spent the night, especially since Mom doesn't know that she and Marinette are the same person.

"I should go now," Ladybug says, taking steps back towards the window. "You never know when an akuma will strike!"

"Thank you for bringing me home, Ladybug," I tell her, grabbing my mother's hands. "And for bringing me to my senses."

She smiles. "Always, Adrien. Bug out!" She leaps out the window.

"How could you just run away?" Mom asks, standing up as she paces back and forth. "I don't understand, Adrien."