24- A Mother's Hope

En başından başla

"I... I've been under so much pressure, Mom. Everything that's happened just keeps piling on. For a moment, I was weak, and I didn't want to face my problems anymore."

Mom grabs my hand. "Talk to me, son. Please. Tell me what's hurting you and I promise I will fix it."

There's no way in hell I'm telling her I've been visiting my father, not after I already promised her I wouldn't.

"Adrien..." She squeezes my hand, tight. "I'm your mother. You can tell me anything. You know that, right?"

"The reason I ran away..." I take in a deep breath and tell her the half-truth. "I'm sick of living at home!"

Her eyes widen. "What? Adrien—"

"It still feels like Dad's around, and I hate that."

"You mean... taking you out of school, keeping you from your friends, right?"

I nod. "Dad kept me prisoner once, and I vowed to myself I would never let myself be one again. I like going to school. I like seeing my friends. I like seeing something besides this stupid, old house!"

"I'm so sorry, baby," Mom whispers, crying as she cups my face gently. "I thought I was protecting you, but turns out I was hurting you all along! What kind of mother am I?" She sighs. "I was abiding by my sister's request. After losing Felix and now her heart attack, she just wants you close to home. She can't bear to lose anyone else."

Does Mom know Aunt Amelie faked her heart attack? I glance at the spot of the mattress the medical file is hiding under. Should I tell her?

Mom pulls me in again as she hugs me. "No more homeschooling. I'm sorry I made you feel like a prisoner again in your own home, Adrien. I just want to keep you safe. You're free to go to school and to see your friends, just please let me know when you leave. I always worry when you go, " She adds with a laugh. "I love you more than anything in this world and I just want you to be happy."

"I love you, too, Mom."

Amelie's POV

I have one hour to get home before anyone realizes I'm gone. Having told my sister I'm sick with the flu should buy me some time before she checks my bedroom. She would understand if she knew what I was doing. Adrien running away should have confirmed that he had something to do with Felix going missing, but those two were so close growing up. I can't see my nephew hurting my son.

So, my next suspect: Gabriel Agreste. My dear, unfortunate, brother-in-law. He and Felix have never gotten along. I don't care how long it takes. I don't care how much I have to risk. If Gabriel knows something, I will get him to talk. I will get him to tell me the truth.

The door opens and Gabriel steps in, his wrists cuffed together. His eyes widen for a second. He's genuinely surprised to see me. As he sits across from me, we both pick up the phone, and he says, "You're the last person I expected to see here, Amelie."

"Trust me, so did I," I admit.

"Does my wife know you're here?"

"Don't refer to my sister as such," I snap, shaking my head. "It's disgusting. You don't deserve her."

Gabriel raises his left hand, showing me his wedding band. "Emelie is still my wife."

"I don't know what she ever saw in you."

"Why are you here, my wicked sister-in-law?"

"You've always had it out for me and for my son—"

"Ah, Felix..." He cuts in, sighing. "I haven't seen him in a while. How is my dear nephew? Still getting into mischief?

My anger boils as I glare at him. "Don't toy with me now, Gabriel. I'm not one to be messed with right now."

Gabriel raises his free hand in defense. "All I did was ask you a question. How is Felix? You do know, right? I mean, he is your son, after all."

"Felix is missing."

"What a shame," He mumbles.

"He's been missing for eight months now."

"Ah, of course. You blame me."

"Should I?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

Gabriel gestures around the room. "For the past eight months, I've been here, Amelie. Locked up, prisoned. I'm under twenty-four hour watch."

"You and I both know that doesn't matter," I tell him, my hand balling into a fist. "You're Gabriel Agreste. I bet you have connections on the outside."

He shrugs. "If I did have connections, like you claim I do, I could use them to help locate your son. Would you like that, Amelie?"

He never gives for nothing. "At what price?"

"What makes you think I want something? You're family." Hearing him say that makes me sick.

"That hasn't mattered before."

"If you don't want my help, Amelie, then I guess you'll never find Felix."

Crying now, I smack my closed fist on the glass. "Where is he? Where's Felix?!"

Gabriel shakes his head with a chuckle. "Maybe I know, maybe I don't."

"You're sick."

"And so are you, Amelie," He whispers, leaning in close. "Getting this worked up and angry isn't good for your weak, fragile heart."

My eyes widen. How does he know? Does he know I faked it? "How..."

Gabriel doesn't answer. He smirks and sets the phone down.

I smack the glass again. "You bastard! You don't deserve Emelie!"

He stands and lets the guard escort him back.

I slam the phone down and leave. Gabriel has to know something... unless he's just taunting me. Ugh, this is all confusing. There's only one thing to do, move on to my next suspect: Ladybug.

And for that, I have to go to Adrien, first.

***

I walk back in the Agreste mansion and let the front door close behind me. As I turn, Adrien's presence on the stairs makes me jump. "Adrien, you scared me."

"Where were you?" He asks. "I came to bring you dinner, but you weren't there."

"I... I went on a walk, to get some fresh air."

He raises his eyebrows at me. "Aren't you supposed to be on bed rest?"

Is he trying to catch me in a lie? "The house is starting to get stuffy, Adrien. Crowded. Sue me for wanting to stretch my legs."

Adrien walks down the steps and meets me at the bottom. He steps forward and hugs me. "I was just worried. That's all."

"Oh..." Smiling, I hug him back and whisper, "Adrien. I'm sorry."

"I can't force you to stay in your room, but can you promise me you'll stay in the garden if you need fresh air?"

I nod. "Yes, I can do that, my dear nephew," I lie, wanting to comfort him. Leaning back, I tell him, "You know, we haven't really spent that much time together. I feel like I barely know you." I raise my hands and cup his face. "Why don't we talk, and you can tell me all about you being a superhero and your adventures with... Ladybug?"