𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. A Game of Poker

· 🙤 •° · ︻╦デ╤━━╾ ·°• 🙦 ·

╔═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╗

Your job is quite straight-forward, really, but incredibly important all the same.

╚═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╝

FLARE, FIVE, THE HANDLER, AND two other employees (some guy named Herb and a lady named Dot) all sit crowded around a lunch table far too small to fit them all. The cafeteria buzzes with competitive chatter, the strange group exuding a dynamic similar to that of a bunch of school children from entirely different cliques being forced to sit together.

In celebration of the girl's arrival, The Handler had been so kind as to bring out her extravagant poker set for a game of Texas Holdem. Flare and Five sit beside each other, a little closer than normal due to her aversion to being anywhere near their boss, while Herb and Dot are on the other side.

"Wait, so," the brunette squints at her cards, "I'm not saying I have them — no, definitely not, but what do four aces mean? Is that good?"

"Your attempts at bluffing are fooling no one," The Handler coos. "Ah, I think I'll raise the pot by twenty. What do you think of that?"

She glances around the table with a devious curve to her lips.

"I'll have to fold," Dot sighs dejectedly.

Herb says nothing, but he also places his cards on the table. A smug expression rises to The Handler's face. Flare looks over at Five, tilting her hand ever so slightly for him to see what she has. In turn, he allows her to glance at his cards. 

Then they lock eyes, and the boy nods, some sort of discreet message passing between the two wordlessly. They return their focus to the table, each adding their respective chips to the pot.

"Well, Number Five, would you like to turn out the last cards?" the woman asks, adjusting her cards daintily.

He obliges, reaching over and revealing the final cards.

Flare sighs, "I wish I remembered how to play this game better."

Everyone at the table closely studies what's been dealt. Five's face remains neutral, his poker face unbeatable, while The Handler's smug expression only grows. He and Flare share one last look.

"Ight, fuck it. I fold," Flare announces, slapping her cards face up on the table.

The last two contestants place their chips in the pot, and then, they overturn their hands to determine the winner.

"Well, Five, it's good to see you stuck it out until the end, but unfortunately for you—" The Handler stops, noticing the boy's hand. "Are you serious?"