The previous timeline died - it technically never happened - just like the timeline before that. There was a total of three worlds that had existed - and this was the third.

The first was a decent one - I'd met Marinette in grade school and we were friends. She dated Luka for a time before they broke up, and we were in a two mouth relationship...until I died. The Eel possessed me - attempting to bring his wife back - he planned on using Marinette's body as a vessel for his wife's spirit.

Marinette had cast the spirit away from her and into me - my body was overwhelmed from containing two spirits and I died. Just before I was completely brain dead, the Eel used my remaining energy to destroy the timeline and start again. Except he started the world to the beginning of my birth unintentionally.

The second world was unkind. Marinette's family was much poorer and I never met her as a child. Our first meeting was in the elevator of Agreste Inc. This was the previous world - the world where I was unbearable and the world where I watched her die.

Yes, I had vague memories of the first world while I was in the second world (although the Eel did his best to suppress those memories to keep me from finding her). Yet, I knew Marinette - I somewhat remembered her - the more I was with her, the more the Eel lost his power and I regained those suppressed memories.

Perhaps that's why I didn't cast her away. But I wasn't sure if she was the same girl from the first world, so I had to keep her at a distance and observe her character. As it turned out, she was indeed the same and while she had no memory of our previous life (since only the holder of the Eel could recall previous worlds) , she behaved consistently as before. And she still liked me, even though I was intolerable compared to how I was before.

Now we were in the third world - hopefully this one turned out okay. One thing was for sure - I needed to destroy the Eel before he destroyed me or Marinette. Before he ruined this world.

There was only one way to successfully defeat the Eel. To destroy one thing, I'd have to destroy everything. I just wasn't sure if Marinette was ready for that.

—————————————————————-

"Good morning," Marinette said, shifting her weight between her legs as if she was uneasy in my gaze.

"Hi," I said, with a chin gesture. She was wearing a violet dress that hugged her frame to an appropriate degree - it was professional, yet very attractive. Another bad habit of mine: taking my time in letting my eyes wonder over her outfits. I promised myself I'd stop - just not today or tomorrow.

She seemed uncomfortable and I immediately refocused my gaze to her eyes.

"Nice dress," I said, allowing myself one last look.

"Thanks," she said, her voice ending on a high note. She must be feeling awkward from last night - I knew I sort of crossed some lines by befriending her father and inviting myself over.

But I hadn't been with her family in so long, that I felt I was going insane. Yes, it was selfish of me, but Mr. Dupain-Cheng disliked me last world, so I wanted to secure my position as a member of the family. And it seemed to be working.

"Would you like some tea?" I asked, trying to make her ease up a bit.

"I'm sorry!" She quipped, clasping her hands together.

"For what?" I asked, feeling amused.

"For saying all the things I said last night. I didn't mean to be rude or accuse you of anything. Just please don't come over to our house anymore. Or at least not when I'm around," she said, staring at the ground.