Chapter 45: Proof

Long chapter... Tried to make some changes and not just go completely off the script from the episode, so I hope it isn't too word for word. Not sure when I'll get the next chapter out. College is back in session so I'm only able to write when I get school work done... but until then... Thanks for reading and enjoy!~ Faith

Chapter 45: Proof

The sun was rising over Lake Laogai. The group had gotten some rest on our small island, a few of us taking turns to keep watch in case the Dai Li came to find us. We knew we would need our strength for the new day. Once the sun rose, we started to discuss our next move. We'd mentioned possibly breaking into the palace, but we weren't sure it was the best option.

Sokka brought it up again though. "Look, we escaped from the Dai Li. We got Appa back. I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll."

Katara argued. "One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll."

Sokka urged, "We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we'll need the Earth King's support."

Toph scoffed. "What makes you think we'll get it? I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang."

Zuko sighed. "At this point we can't go back into the city without the king on our side. The Dai Li will have us arrested if we try to go to the house now. But... It's worth a shot to try and speak to the king. We have an advantage now with Appa. A straight shot to the palace."

Sokka held his hands out towards Zuko. "See! Zuko's with me!" He dropped his hands as Aang joined us. "I know things haven't been on our side, but I've got a good feeling about this. This time will be different."

Katara frowned. "Sokka, Long Feng is in control of the city. His conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us."

Toph nodded. "I'm with Sweetness. I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se." She raised her arms and opened her glazed eyes wide. "And I can't even see!"

Aang took Sokka's side. "But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the War."

Sokka grinned. "See? Zuko and Aang are with me." He draped an arm over Zuko's shoulders and another over Aang's. Zuko rolled his eyes and slipped out from under his arm. Sokka shrugged, still keeping an arm around Aang as he said, "It's the whole reason we came here in the first place. We have to try."

I spoke up. "I am a bit tired of the Dai Li controlling so many people. The Earth King is one thing... but the brainwashing has to be stopped. Joo Dee... if that really is her name... her and those other women need help... "

Katara thought about it for a moment. "Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change."

Toph pointed at Sokka. "I don't trust the new positive Sokka. Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?!"

I smiled and tried not to laugh as Sokka's face turned confused.

"Uh..." Aang started. "We better go now if we're doing this." He pointed out at the water before us and we saw a few ships in the distance.

Sokka narrowed his eyes. "That's probably the Dai Li searching for us..." He looked back at Katara for her final decision. "So?"

Katara thought about it for a moment before looking at Sokka. She let out a sigh, and then gave a determined nod. "Let's fly!"

We mounted Appa and grabbed his fur to prepare to take off. Aang took the front, while the rest of us were riding bareback. Toph held a grip beside me and looked super nervous. "Don't let me fall."