Chapter 20: Family

Chapter 20: Family

(Third Person POV)

Zuko and Iroh sat on their small raft floating across what felt like the endless ocean. Zuko had been asleep for most of the day and woke to the sun lowering in the sky. His uncle seemed calm and composed.

When Iroh heard Zuko stir and wake up, the older man smiled over at the teenager who sat up and rubbed his brow.

"Welcome back, Prince Zuko."

Zuko sat in silence as he stared at the raft beneath him. He was torn. He had not only lost the Avatar, but he had been forced to leave Amara behind. He had wanted her to stay with him so terribly, but he knew he had to keep his promise: he had to get her to her family.

"You did the right thing," Iroh spoke. He knew that his nephew was thinking of the young woman they had both come to care for deeply. "I know you will miss her greatly, but Amara will be better off with her family. Better she's being mended than floating on a raft in the middle of the ocean."

Zuko sighed heavily. "I know... It was just so hard to tell her goodbye. She's the first person who has ever accepted me for myself. She didn't care that I was a prince... and she made me smile so much. I've never felt for anyone the way I did for her."

Iroh frowned. "Amara cares for you greatly as well... I can see the bond between you both. What you have is something many do not find in their lifetime. Love is not easy... It can sometimes lead to hurt... but I believe two people who are meant to be together will always find each other in the end. Just be patient..."

"She's with her Water Tribe family now, Uncle... They're going to make her hate the Fire Nation even more when she learns just how terrible our people are to her own... I don't think she'll see me in the same way the next time we cross paths."

Iroh did not agree. "I think she may surprise you. Amara loves you, Zuko... when she found out you were in an explosion, she didn't view it as the Avatar being free from your capture... She was in great despair that you were possibly dead. I had to quickly reassure her that you were alive before the poor child fainted."

Zuko smiled slightly at this. He knew his uncle was right. Amara hadn't agreed with Zuko's mission to capture Aang in the first place, and she still cared about him. If he ever saw her again, he had a feeling she would still feel the same. He was glad his uncle knocked some sense into him. "Yeah... I guess you're right..."

"Just be patient, nephew. It's going to work out. I can feel it," Iroh reassured. "We will see Amara again. For now, let's just be happy that she can finally meet her Water Tribe family at last. She's fulfilled her mother's wishes."

Zuko nodded. "I'm sure she's going to have a lot of fun with those crazy kids... I just hope she isn't injured too badly... She looked to be in a lot of pain when I blocked Zhao's attack."

"There are wonderful healers at the North Pole... Also, her cousin Katara is a healer as well. I know she is in good hands."

Iroh's confidence and comfort eased Zuko's sorrow. Zuko glanced back in the direction of the North Pole with a heavy heart.

Until we meet again, Amara...

Amara POV

The darkness was peaceful. However, as I found myself regaining consciousness, an image flashed through my mind; An image of a man who had hurt me for sixteen years, being dragged away into a dark abyss.

Was it true? Was it all a dream? Was I finally released from Zhao's control at last?

After sixteen years of abuse and torture from that monster, and constantly trying to escape, was I finally done?