Chapter-8 Changes

"I look

"I look..." I observed myself in the mirror as Zendaya looked at me nervously for my reaction.

It's been a week since I met her. Since my life started getting better. I finally moved out to the place my parents got for me along with Zendaya, who insisted she'll take care of me from now.

The house was in the interior city, filled with humans but it had the warmth of home, like the one we had before. My parents have already personalized everything in my new home and I couldn't help but feel grateful for everything. Even when I found things this late, I am glad I found them.

Margo was discharged a day later. She was a bit weak but her father apologized to her profoundly and told us he'll take care of her. He even promised her that he'll stop drinking. I am glad that they made up even though what he did was wrong. But then again, it's not my place to decide what to do.

I left my job three days back, making sure that every procedure is properly taken care of. I don't know whether I'll miss my jobs but I do know I'll miss being busy.

After seeing my one-room house, Zendaya concluded that I am an amazing artist and that I should be enrolled in an art course to learn the art properly. I don't know how she did that but I got admission to a vocational art school with two months beginner's course.

When I asked her how, since I don't have any educational background, Zendaya simply responded that this is a course that doesn't need any, and I believed her.

Today is my first day in art school and to say I am excited will be an understatement. I am gushing with adrenaline and curiosity. It's a change I am finally starting to love. It feels like the dark cloud on top of my head is gone at last. Maybe from now on things will get better.

"Mazarine?" Zendaya called me.

I was still looking myself at in the mirror. Since we are in a new place and were about to start a new life, Zendaya wanted to make some changes in my appearance too.

She said she wanted to make sure no one realizes who I am. At first, she tried convincing me to chop my waist-length silver hair and dye it black. Then she wanted me to wear hazel contacts to cover my green eyes.

But I hated the thought of pretending to be someone. And the only thing that reminded me of my parents is those, my emerald eyes from my dad and silver hair from my mom.

If I change that then a part of me is scared that I will lose them forever. So, I straight out rejected her idea. With both of us being stubborn, I ended up agreeing to her to fake my appearance with magic.

At first, I was reluctant since if we use magic on me, people can sense it but she asked to have some faith in her magic and I believed her.

After what felt like an eternity, she said that she just put the basic spells to make my hair look black and my eyes hazel. But I could feel it in me, she performed something powerful, like a protection spell.