The Golden Period

(Author's note - This chapter is longer, but it is the last chapter of this story, thank you for following Shu Mei's journey. If you enjoyed this story please check out my next story in the rebirth series Muted Love.)

The empire came alive after the Imperial family announced three happy news. The month following was filled with celebrations and fireworks as if the Imperial family is ushering forward towards a new Golden Period of the Great Han Empire.

The first news was that the Imperial Heir has returned and was granted the title of Princess of the Empire. The announcement listed all the great achievements and merits to her name, stunning people as they shook their heads in disbelief. Not only did this Princess save the empire from internal rebellion, but she revolutionised the government administration, rooted out corrupt ministers and refocused the government towards education and innovation. The great merits seem to be unattainable for a male her age, let alone a female, but the Princess defied all odds and overachieved!

The second news was that the Emperor had decided to hand over his throne to his daughter and retire after ruling for over fifty years. The new Princess of the Empire will now become Empress Zhou of the Great Han Dynasty. Her coronation will be the day after she marries her Prince Consort, the Supreme Leader of the Wulin. 

Most people understood that with this union, the empire is truly united and the Wulin cannot operate outside the confides of the law. Her great achievements and the Prince Consort's position has effectively shut the mouths of those men who had objected to being ruled over by a woman. There were a few loose tongued people who continued to cause trouble, but they were very quickly 're-educated' by their neighbours.

The third news was that the government will pardon taxes for the year to celebrate the momentous occasion and this was the news that the people were genuinely pleased with. Starting her reign with such an amnesty made Shu Mei immediately popular with the people and everyone in the empire hurriedly travelled to the Imperial City to watch the coronation.

That day Shu Mei and Bai Ye was dressed in matching white silk brocade gowns that was magnificent and extravagant. Both gowns had embroidered phoenix and dragon in gold and silver threads. Jewels adorned the phoenix eyes and tail, as were the dragon scales. The people were pressed together so tightly that they had no breathing space as they watched the beautiful deity-like couple ascend the steps in the imperial palace and performed the necessary rituals.

"Bai Ye, my husband, thank you," whispered Shu Mei while they kowtowed to the ancestors.

"Shu Mei, I love you," whispered Bai Ye with a smile while they kowtowed to the heavens.

"My back is sore from last night," whispered Shu Mei with a mischievous smile.

Bai Ye blushed and nervously looked around to ensure that no one has heard her comment. His whole body heated up as he recalled their wild and passionate wedding night. He heard her moans and imaged the beautifully lusty expression on her face as they both drifted in and out of consciousness, just letting the world's oldest rhythm take over and sending them to bliss.

"Mmmm...yes, are you too tired for later?" asked Bai Ye in a low husky voice.

Shu Mei chuckled. So naughty!

"No...I don't think so," she whispered.

Bai Ye's body heated up more and he had to bite his lips to distract him from getting carried away with erotic images. Such an inappropriate time to have an inappropriate conversation, but he loves it. 

After Shu Mei had proposed to him, Bai Ye honestly told her the whole story about how he had accompanied her for ten years in the stone. Shu Mei had nodded her head calmly and then pounced on him, pressing him down on the bed and closed the curtains. Bai Ye smiled shyly as he recalled her exact words and the things they did afterwards.