The Song manor

At the Song manor, Old Madame Song is the most beloved and respected matriarch. She single handedly raised her children after her husband's death in the early years of their marriage.

A formidable woman in her youth, she led the Song family through difficult times and managed to continue her sons' education at the finest institution even when the family had to scrimp and save.

Her grace and intelligence was well known at the time. Not once had she considered remarriage despite years of struggle. The woman displayed all the virtues of a elegant and admired woman of the time.

When both her eldest sons consecutively achieved high rankings in the imperial exams, Old Madame Song was vindicated. Her sons' successes was a reflection of her hard work and persistence.

Having achieved moderate level official titles, the Song brothers were well known for their uprightness and scholarship. The family continued to prosper through their businesses that Old Madame Song had brought along as part of her dowry.

The third brother is currently the head of the branch family in Hangzhou and manages the Song business empire while the other two brothers and their families are in the imperial city.

The third brother's only son was Song Wei Li, a handsome and charismatic young man, who also carries the scholarly tradition of the family.

Song Wei Li has no interest in business, rather preferred to immerse himself in poetry and playing musical instruments all year round.

Many say that he is a genius, just waiting for the north wind to pick up and the right master to serve.

Shu Mei, on the other hand, knew, young master Song Wei Li as one with no ambition. In her memories, he was a passive observer of Yu Li's downfall in public and only lends a hand in private.

To say that she dislikes him is an overstatement, but she couldn't bring herself to like such a spineless man. When he offered to take her in after the Huang family's execution, she had firmly rejected.

In her mind at that time, she was Yu Li's woman, in both good times and bad. Without her, how could Yu Li survive? And yet, his best friend had made such an inappropriate offer.

Looking back, Shu Mei must admit, she was biased towards Yu Li, her loyalty blinded her toward his faults. Maybe Song Wei Li knew there was no way to save the Huang family, after all, who can defy an imperial decree?

The fact that he helped in secret was already a big favour to his best friend. He must have tried to secure her safety so she could continued to look after Yu Li.

Blaming herself on her rashness back then, Shu Mei knocked her head twice. Could things have turned out differently if she accepted Song Wei Li's proposal?

Knowing the Song family as reasonable and soft hearted people, Shu Mei just needed to find an opportunity to broach the topic of her release.

While the matron finished giving her instructions, Shu Mei wanted to ask to speak to her. Thinking that little girl is overwhelmed and being busy, the matron brushed her attempts and promised to speak to her at night.

Comforted that at least she would have an opportunity to speak later, Shu Mei held her tongue and obediently followed the matron's instructions.

The girls had to take a bath and dressed up in the hand maid uniforms so that they are presentable in front of Old Madame Song.

This was a necessary step, if the Old Madame is happy with the girls, the matron will arrange the proper training of first rank personal hand maids to the matriarch. The girls will be able to exclusively serve the old Madame in the inner court.