The reunion

He swallowed nervously, as if he was a little kid being caught doing something naughty, he felt a little guilty but more apprehensive to come face to face with the person he had yearned for every moment since the day he woke up.

Shu Mei's current posture and slanted smile gives her a beautifully roguish charm. She outwardly seems calm and in control but her own heart is pounding and her hands sweaty with nerves as she stares into the pitch-black void in front of her. 

Her gut instinct tells her that Bai Ye is currently hiding in there and watching her closely. There was no basis for her assumption, but she just followed her heart and flew over to catch him. Even if she was wrong, there is no one around to witness her embarrassment.

"Zu Bai Ye come out here in the light so that I can see you. Don't you think it is unfair that you get to watch such a great show and yet I have to see nothing but blackness?" she asked with a teasing smile.

Bai Ye sighed and for the first time in his life he felt conflicted at what to do, half of him wants to rush out and gather her in his arm but the rational self-despising half held him back.

Shu Mei frowned at the lack of response and decided to risk it all. She stood up to walk forward towards him but before she could make another step the slippery roof tile sent her body flying backwards. As she seemed like she was about to fall off the roof, Bai Ye's body naturally responded and he instantly flew out of the nook and held back her waist, pressing her face straight into his hard chest.

Shu Mei smiled, satisfied that her gamble paid off and she managed to lure him out with not much effort!

When Bai Ye felt that they were stable he tried to let her go and flee from her but was immediately stunned by the pair of arms that hugged tightly around his waist and which refused to budge.

"Don't move Bai Ye, let's stay like this for a little while, let me bury myself in your chest and count your heartbeat so that I can confirm you really are alive," she said softly as she continued to tighten her hold and nestled herself into a more comfortable position in his arm.

"Shu Mei..." he whispered with a voice filled with emotion and longing as he started to gently stroke her soft hair.

"I thought you were dead," she whispered into his chest.

"How can I leave you? Remember I promised you that I will show you sincerity about my feelings towards you and let time show you the truth? That is why I cannot die," he responded.

"Hmm...then you took too long to come back, my heart is cold again," she said softly.

"Oh, did it melt for me before? Did you miss me when I was gone?" he asked happily as he tightened his arm around her waist, their bodies pressed together in a comfortable embrace.

"Not at all, how can I miss you? I slept very well every night, never dreamt about you, I ate very well, never thought about you, I play all day, never remembered your face," she said with a voice full of resentment.

Bai Ye felt his chest became wet as her tears soaks through the thin cloth that separates her face from his skin. His heart ached. 

"That's good, I'm glad you were able to live happily without me," he said bending down to lightly kiss her hair.

"Why did you hide away from me?" she asked.

"I didn't want to interrupt the beautiful show," he replied teasingly.

"Why didn't you come out when I asked you to?" she asked.

"Because... because I didn't want to scare you," he replied honestly.