Old Madame Huang

"Impertinent! Who are you to make a sound here?" barked Yu Li's father, his face turned dark red in anger.

Shu Mei smirked, in her opinion, this man is the definition of useless rich second generation. In her last life, he was less fat, but still had no presence nor authority in this household, despite being the only son of the great Huang merchant family. Yu Li's father spent his whole lifetime immersed in one single passion, the pursuit of food. His world is ruled by two very firm fists, the first was his wife, a completely double-faced shrew and this mother, the terrifyingly strict and capable Old Madame Huang.

Seeing the smirk on her face and Yu Li's frozen reaction, Huang Hou Rong felt the urge to give her a satisfying slap on the face, but thinking that they are still standing outside and he should let his wife do the discipling of the female servant, Yu Li's father continued to sulk, making his face turn redder and his round body shaking visibly.

Shu Mei wanted to see if she would get the chance now to twist his arm, and knock him to the ground, which was something she had always wanted to do in her last life, so she laughed again, taunting him further.

Yu Li's face turned black at her laughter, fear striking his heart as he looked at her with concerned eyes, lost in thought trying to read her mind. Has she gone crazy from him taking in concubines? He can swear on his parent's lives that he had no part in this, he is innocent, and she must believe him!

Huang Hou Rong has always been so useless, that even his own mother treated him like air. The only accomplishment he could lay claim to is being the father of the great General Yu Li. His son is everything that Hou Rong is not, but that doesn't stop him from acting pretentious, riding on the power and fame of the great general.

Hou Rong's pride is inflated as his waistline, in his mind, a single word from him can command the great army that his son leads. Seeing that his son is not saying a single word, he decided to take it into his own hands and strutted towards Shu Mei, hand poised to give her a big slap on the face. As he took his steps, he calculated in his mind, which position would hurt the most but not leave a mark, after all, she is so beautiful and delicate, it is best to teach her a lesson but not permanently damage her face. It is amazing how deluded this man is, someone who spends all his time lazing around in luxury, would think that he had the strength to damage someone's face with a single slap.

As if she could read his thoughts, Shu Mei chuckled to herself and got ready for his attack. In slow motion he reached out and swung with all his might at her face, the momentum of the swing also took him by surprise and he slightly lost balance. Shu Mei shook her head and cursed at Hou Rong for being such an easy target, before leaning back slightly and using her own inner force she propelled his hand towards his own face.

Smack! Everyone looked at Hou Rong in shock as he smacked his own face.

His already red face is now imprinted with his handprint forcing him to stagger backwards a few steps, but how could Shu Mei let it end there?

She inconspicuously stuck out a leg and tripped him as he staggered backwards, making the man completely lose balance and fell flat on his bottom. She chuckled with delight, thinking to herself that this is only the beginning, if Yu Li continues to force her to stay here, she vowed that every day will be troublesome for the Huang family.

Yu Li's mother is fuming as well as embarrassed by her husband's incompetent display in front of the servants and concubines. She bemoaned her ill-fated life, to be tied to this useless wastrel! She looked at Shu Mei with a cold and calculating look, instantly disliking her beauty and insolence. At the same time the concubines who were still kneeling on the ground tried to keep their eyes and faces still, as to not betray their amusement.

"Father do not overexert yourself in my matters... Why are these women here? I have not returned here in five years and did not marry any concubines. Send them back where they came from," said Yu Li coldly, his eyes never straying from Shu Mei's face, as if earnestly imploring her to understand that he had no part in this whatsoever.

"Someone, come here and help me up!" shouted Huo Rong as he struggled to untangle himself from all the ostentatious fabric that he had wrapped himself in.

"Son, these concubines were accepted by your grandmother, what can we do?" said Yu Li's mother ignoring her husband while lifting a small handkerchief to her eyes to wipe non-existent tears.

Yu Li continued to stare at Shu Mei, his brain thinking fast on how to get back on her good books but its currently drawing a blank. He stepped closer to her and placed his arms around her shoulders and ushering her inside, completely ignoring his parents and the women still kneeling on the ground. Shu Mei dodged his arm and walked inside first forcing Yu Li to follow by her side.

"General Huang, you now have four flowers like concubines, so beautiful and elegant. I especially like that their slender but curvy figures that sway like they have no bones! I think if I was a man, I would happily die under their skirts! But if the great general finds that four is not enough, how about we find another three more and you can spend a day with a different woman, it will be like living in heaven but in your own residence," said Shu Mei seriously. She hopes that once he finds the pleasures of the flesh, the old Yu Li will return to his ways and will leave her alone.

Yu Li's heart sunk and itched uncomfortably with her mocking words. He just wants to clamp her mouth shut so that she would stop talking. He could tell that her harsh words are not of jealousy, but relief and her heart is gleeful that he has already broken his promise not to marry anyone else.

He cursed his parents silently, he had been clear to them in his letter that they should never interfere with his matters, especially in terms of marriage. His instructions were that his rooms can only be served by men or older female servants. He wants to show Shu Mei that he is pure and waiting for her. But now, there's not one, but four concubines that have been heaped onto him, unawares! To make matters worse, these four are the same ones from his dreams, the same ones who schemed and hurt his darling.

Yu Li's parents and concubines were left outside, ignored like they were air. Embarrassed, they quickly scuttled inside and couldn't wait to tell the Old Madame Huang about this injustice. Yu Li's mother is determined to teach the woman that her son bought back a lesson and reassert her authority.

Shu Mei entered the hall with Yu Li and saw the Old Madame Huang sitting at the middle of the hall, leisurely sipping tea. Her heart started to pound in her chest, and her eyes betrayed a complicated feeling towards the Old Madame Huang. In her last life, the old woman was capable and stern. She had not punished Shu Mei as often as Yu Li's mother, but when she did it was cruel and harsh. Shu Mei shivered when she remembered the two times that she had almost died from the old madame's punishments.

Upon reflection, Shu Mei knew that her star sign is incompatible with everyone in the Huang residence, everyone of them have inflicted so much pain and humiliation on her, that when all three generations were all pulled out for execution, she had been relieved. Unfortunately, Song Wei Li had rescued Yu Li and her, continuing her pain and entanglements, otherwise she would have joined her grandma and parents earlier.

"Grandmother, what is the meaning of this? Those women must be sent back to where they come from, I will not accept them," said Yu Li rudely, before even greeting his grandmother. Yu Li is anxious at this point to make a clear stance that he forgot his basic manners.

"Grandson, it has been five years since you returned her, even when you did, you stayed for half a day. Without even a proper greeting you have launched straight to questioning me? Where is your filial piety?" said Old Madame Huang as she slammed down her cup.

Yu Li instantly bowed curtly and apologised with a cold and defiant look on his face. At this time the parents and concubines rushed in and readied themselves to complain. Old Madame Huang raised her hand before anyone could say a single word.

"Everyone get out, I need to speak to my grandson," she commanded coldly.

Shu Mei smiled, sure enough, the old woman still had her fangs and authority in this life. She will use the power that the woman has over Yu Li to her advantage. Yes, she will play with old woman Huang until the old hag will force Yu Li to need to kick her out.