Shu Mei returns

"I see...you are dismissed, I will consider and give an answer in a little while," said Yu Li calmly as he narrowed his eyes and stared unblinkingly at Shu Mei's direction.

Lu Tai looked at Yu Li and then at Shu Mei nervously, then sighed, he felt sorry for the girl whom he had trained for five years, now trapped by this tyrant and yet he is too weak to help her. He could only wait for time to pass and an opportunity to talk the General about the facts of life, especially when it came to treating women, this type of behaviour is too excessive and will only serve to push the other party away.

But then again, his confidence on this point also wavers as he introspectively questions, what would a single man know about relationships and love? Maybe this type of forceful love is what a woman needs and want?

He has heard from his seniors that women love a handsome, rich man, who can offer a sense of safety and security. Lu Tai has got to admit that the General is extremely handsome and possess so much hidden wealth that can rival the Treasury's store and even though he is domineering, he does not indulge in pleasures of the flesh.

In terms of safety and security, his position as the most powerful man in the empire, that which rivals the emperor, and the fact that he just killed the only man that had a chance at defeating him, there is really no one more powerful than General Yu Li.

Thinking to this point Lu Tai inwardly shuddered as he realised that the man's power trip seems to be unstoppable. Looking at Shu Mei again he felt that despite all these qualities, there is something amiss and that the General may not have a smooth love journey. Maybe it has something to do with Shu Mei's independence and determination as a smart and mature woman. Or just maybe, it is her icy cold eyes filled with disgust and repulsion when she involuntarily looks at the General's direction.

Having sensed Lu Tai's lingering eyes on his beloved, Yu Li instantly stepped in front of the kneeling man and blocked his vision. The incident with Bai Ye had completely rattled him and his plans, it reinforced in his mind that he had been too soft and slow the last few years. He should have gone with his instinct and tried to be more forceful and never let her leave his sight, just like in his dreams, his previous self-had never allowed her to stray far from his side.

In his dreams, his other version knew never to leave her leave her alone, otherwise there were always consequences that he had to mop up afterwards. So, wherever he went, she had to follow, either in as his concubine or dressed as a manservant. The times that she was left back in the Huang manor had been unmitigated disasters. If she wasn't tortured by one of his concubines or punished by his mother, then the Song best friend or other men in the family who was seduced by her beauty would find ways to approach her.

He had originally thought that his life was different, since he knew the future, he could prevent it from occurring so wanted to give her time to know him while waiting for her to come of age. But it was obvious that as soon as he let her out of his sight and control, other men will come crawling over and try to take her away.

Within four days of seeing her last, she managed to get seduced by a wayward woman, involved herself in a court case with a corrupt magistrate, work with Zuyi sect to decimate the entire roots of the demonic sects, set alight Zhua Zhu fortress and nearly ran away with the most powerful Supreme leader of Wulin. At this point Yu Li's nerves had frayed; now could he not be nervous and possessive? This woman is a walking magnet for trouble and men.

Yu Li hated seeing people's gaze on his woman, in his heart and mind, she belongs to him only and he must constantly rein in his urge to pluck out other people's eyes when they look at her. He is also surprised at himself for these rash actions and inexplicable feelings. As a general and a man, he had carefully cultivated and maintained a cold and strategic persona, every move he makes is calculated and rational. But when it comes to her, everything gets thrown out of the window and he is forced to go back to his basic instincts.

"Get out, I will send for you when I have made a decision," said Yu Li coldly, as he looked down at Lu Tai's head and clenched his fists behind his back. If Lu Tai wasn't such a capable captain with unmatched abilities and intelligence, then his head would have been cleanly sliced off at Zhua Zhu for his mistakes, but he must earn the trust again.

"This subordinate obeys," said Lu Tai as he stood up and fled the room.

"Shu Mei, did you hear the news?" asked Yu Li gently as he walked over to her side and knelt on the ground to level with her face.

Shu Mei rolled her eyes and reeled back in repulsion as the distance between them was too close for her to bear. Yu Li sighed and patiently waited for her to speak, leaving them in an awkward position and silence.

"Should I allow them to marry? Lin Xi and Lin An are my agents, they have protected our family for the last five years wholeheartedly. Now it seems that Lin Xi is working above and beyond her duties, breaking the rules and falling in love with the target. Shu Mei, I will do anything for you, just say a word and it will be done," he said softly.

"My family," said Shu Mei coldly, even though the last thing she wants to do is to speak to him, this important point needs to be made clear.

"Yes, your family and one day they will be mine as well. Shu Mei, you don't know this yet, but we are made for each other and one day you will love me, until then I will wait patiently and show you how much you mean to me. I will give you this world, Shu Mei, please believe me," he said.

"You sure have a strange way of showing your love, I guess the general feels that chaining someone up like a dog is appropriate," said Shu Mei sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

"No, of course not. But you were out of control when we got back, and I worry that you would hurt yourself. When you are calmer and I get a reassurance that you don't try to hurt yourself or run away, I will naturally unchain you. Plus, can you not think of it as a chain, it is so thin and beautiful, I made sure it was the lightest bracelet, so it should be more comfortable," said Yu Li.

Shu Mei almost vomited at his words and cursed her eyes for being unable to roll any further back in her head. This guy is clearly delusional and psychotic, maybe being at the apex of this world have messed with his mind so much that he has a skewed version of the world. In an odd way, she misses the previous version of Yu Li, the carefree playboy was annoying but at least more likeable than this twisted and domineering man in front of her.

After another awkward pause, Yu Li continued to probe, "do you allow them to marry?"

"I want to return home," said Shu Mei finally.

"Yes, we shall return home. I have business in Hangzhou for the time being, so we can go back. You will be able to see your family again. But you will have to continue to stay with me, Shu Mei, one day I will give you a proper title, but for now, I have to hide you by my side to keep you safe. Please understand," he said as he raised a hand to brush away her stray hair.

She flinched in disgust and then unconsciously remembered that Bai Ye also had the same habit. Recalling his handsome face that held a gentle smile and imploring eyes with every movement her heart twisted with such pain that she couldn't breathe, and her eyes blanked into a faraway distance. Shu Mei dug her nails into her palm and then pinched it hard to stop the tears from welling up in her eyes. She did not want to cry in front of this man who had ruthlessly cut down Bai Ye at his weakest point.

Back at the Lin house, the Lin parents looked nervously at each other when Feng Yeran returned with double the number of gifts that not only filled the great hall but it outside courtyard and spilled onto the street. They had carefully sent him away the first time, citing inconvenient coincidence with a death anniversary of their grandparents and now he has returned.

Father Feng had taken the excuse at face level and felt that the gifts were not enough to convince them to part with their precious daughter. So, he went back, raided their family's treasure stores, and purchased every bit of silk, dried seafood, and precious commodities that he could find in the city to double down on the bridal gifts. He is determined to not let Lin Xi down again; five years is a long time to wait and Father Feng is impatient to marry his wife!

"Father, Shu Mei has returned home!" shouted Feng Er as he ran into the hall just when the Lin parents started to shake their heads and give another excuse to send him away.