Arc 7: Royal Deceit (251)

The inn was indeed immaculate. It even offers courtyards for special events, a separated tavern and warm springs in a building. House Gu not only housed wise politicians but also wealthy merchants. The owner of the barely called inn is Gu Zixing's distant cousin. They learnt at the imperial academy and a few years older than Gu Zixing. Unfortunately, even the inn was fully booked. All inn in Chang'an are expected to be full during this season. Luckily, they were given one room, with its, own spring and tea room. It was an expensive one and only few can afford it.

"Finally bringing your wife, Zixing?" His cousin, Gu Yuan; asked with a playful tone while Hong Cha was looking around impressed.

"She wants to go to An." She is still his wife, and he acknowledged that advantage.

"Good, good." Gu Yuan mischievously nodded his head. "I have two spare side wings for the maid and driver. You can occupy the room with her and have some good old privacy~."

"Elder Brother Yuan, tell her to share the room with me. She can have me kicked out." Gu Zixing glanced at Hong Cha and sighed. She wasn't that fascinated with the prestige the inn displayed. Four years ago, when they are traveling far from Bai Regimen, she easily get impressed with an inn like this.

"Hello there." Gu Yuan approached Hong Cha with a convincing smile. "It was fortunate there is a room available. The servants can stay at the dorm for the staffs in this place. There is only one room available and it is better if you share it with Zixing."

"Excuse me?" Hong Cha's brows furrowed but Gu Yuan chuckled and left. A staff led her servants away and another one called for her attention. "You, I can't share a room with this man."

"Oh, Madame, I am sorry but we are only following what our owner ordered." The staff was helpless and whispered, "Sir Gu Zixing is also a sponsor of this inn. We can't let Sir Gu Zixing rest in a side wing meant for staffs."

Hong Cha looked at Gu Zixing accusingly but he gave her a faint smile and followed the staff. Hong Cha felt the cold wind of winter blowing her from the open door. She kept her anger and went after them.

The room is quite large, two families can fit in. There is a tea room with an entertainment stage, a sweet warm pool in an additional chamber. For the resting place, there is one bed and a settee.

Hong Cha glared at Gu Zixing. "I don't want to share a bed with anyone than His Majesty. If I enter the bathroom, you better stay in a different place."

"I won't mind." He have no complaints and will respect her demands. Gu Zixing went to the tea room and muttered, "Since when was a husband forbidden to sleep with his wife?"

"Pardon?" Hong Cha gave him a sharp look. She thought he was complaining behind her back.

"Your Highness, I also want to take a bath. If no one hurries, it'll save time for the two of us to join." Gu Zixing turned to her and arched his lips seductively. Hong Cha was stunned, her cheeks brightened but she threw her satchel at him.

"Presumptuous!" She wished she had thrown something harder and see if he can still laugh at her reaction. Hong Cha stomped since Gu Zixing got in the tearoom with a victorious laugh. A stream of memory flashed in her mind. She recalled, she used to tease him with words but he will decline politely.

For a moment, she was at loss. Hong Cha stood on the same spot and her expression softened as she reminisced.

"If I were to have a husband, I want it someone like you!"

"Why should I be scared? You are here to protect me."

"Kiss me."

"Call me Camellia."

"I love you!"

"Thank you for being there for me."

Hong Cha broke from her trance. Her gaze became indifferent once more. He betrayed her, he kept a secret from her and that was the death of those important to her.

Gu Zixing stayed in the tearoom for a long time. He was looking at the wooden fox he carved four years ago at the military camp of Bai Regimen. Something about a fox just fascinates him. The legends of Su Daji, and other calamitous beauty related to fox spirits, he had taken interest of them when he was young. He even thought Se Hong is peerless to be as fatal as those fox spirits yet Hong Cha surpassed her. She is able to convince Gu Jiaoyue and have him listen only to her. Gu Zixing had expected her allure to cause trouble someday, but never this big. He only hoped she will change back to who she was before her trust was broken.

He left the wooden fox on the table after hearing rustling of clothes. Gu Zixing knew she is done taking a bath. He is tired too and the coldness of winter can wear anyone easily.

Hong Cha heard footsteps closing by. She narrowed her eyes at the door but it didn't move the slightest. Hong Cha wore her dress properly and opened the door. To her surprise, Gu Zixing is sitting at the bedside. He is taking off his boots when she headed out.

"I'll sleep there." Hong Cha meant to say he can't stay in one bed with her. Gu Zixing stood up and strode to the bathroom too.

"Well, we will both sleep there."

"You!" Hong Cha wants to refute but he went out of the bedroom. She doesn't like how stubborn he is tonight.

After drying her hair, Hong Cha got on the bed. She thought Gu Zixing will not dare lie next to her. Hong Cha glanced towards the tearoom and saw the small fox sculpture. Her attention drifted at the door opening as Gu Zixing stepped out. She quickly looked away and lifted the blanket over her head. Hong Cha became vigilant once the other side sunk.

"You can't sleep here." She lowered the blanket and casted him a hostile glimpse. Gu Zixing only sat at the bedside but she already warned him.

"Why not?" Gu Zixing questioned. Can't she remember? He is her true husband. Even if she denies him, she never divorced him, thus her marriage with Gu Jiaoyue can't stop him.