Arc 7: Royal Deceit (242)

Snow poured heavily that day. Hong Cha waited for Gu Zixing in worry. She hadn't seen him after he left this morning when a servant of House Gu found them. Although days had passed since they married, they never consummated. Hong Cha is still undecided, she fears childbirth and parenting. What if she is not that ready yet? What if she gets ill after giving birth? There are so many what ifs that she consulted to Gu Zixing. He only laughed and comforted her that he understands. He is patient towards Hong Cha and compassionate for her. Whatever she wants, must go first. After all, even their neighbors convinced him with a happy wife, you'll live a happy life~.

These thoughts made her wander. Hong Cha looked up and finally saw him. She quickly rushed to his side even though it was snowing.

"Camellia, you can't be out here!" He reprimanded in concern. Gu Zixing brought her back into the residence then Hong Cha suddenly hugged him.

"You got me worried. Where did you go?" Hong Cha helped him warm up by being clingy. He doesn't mind. Gu Zixing held her closer and let her take off his cloak.

"Camellia, I think I have to leave..." Gu Zixing carefully said. Sure enough, she made a stop. "House Gu is in danger, my parents are also in danger. I have to go back."

"Oh." Hong Cha was at loss. She secretly clenched her fists and nodded. "When?"

"Right away, before the road gets covered in snow. It's very serious. They traveled from the capital to join the wedding but they didn't make it. Someone found their carriage two towns from here, only Mother was there and she is unconscious. Up until now, she hadn't recovered yet. As for Father, he's been missing..." Gu Zixing said in distress. He have an idea who is behind this and he worried Hong Cha might get implicated. Specially since they left House Gu. "Camellia, the enemy is not your aunt, not Gu Jiaoyue, not Gu Chi Lian, but someone far dangerous. I don't want to leave you here but if I bring you with me, Empress Qing will find out."

"No, it's okay." Hong Cha quickly responded. She returned the cloak to him and regained her calmness. "Go on then. I will wait for you here. Come back, alive and safe, alright? I, I don't want you to get hurt. I will really ignore you in our next life if I become a widow at this age!"

Gu Zixing chuckled. He kissed her forehead and rubbed her back gently. "You're not going to be a widow. I will definitely return, I can't let my Camellia be alone."

"Can we have kids?" She asked between her sobs. Gu Zixing froze as Hong Cha hastily wiped her tears. "I want a family with you so you should be back early!"

"Anything my wife wants." He could have laughed at her slight silliness but he worries for his parents. Warlord Bai had infiltrated Tian. He should warn Gu Jiaoyue and the emperor, he should look after his mother and find his father. Afterwards, he can live with Hong Cha again.

Hong Cha can only watch him go further, his steps marking the fields of snow and soon enough, she can no longer see him. Her heart felt uneasy but she has to stay strong. She waited until Winter Solstice came and a news spreads in the town. It seems that a new emperor was crowned and it was the crown prince. In his immediate succession, he was aided by House Gu and its heir. The search for House Gu's headmaster is still ongoing and the madame is still unconscious. Hong Cha hoped things will get better soon.

After winter came spring. She spent New Year with her friendly neighbors. They empathize her because all they knew is that 'Nian Xiaoyuan' has to leave urgently for filial duties. Hong Cha didn't lose prospect. She watched as the snow began to vanish and spring flowers bloomed perfectly.

Hong Cha was attending the camellia bushes she grew. She turned stiff to hear a knock by the small gate. Hong Cha was expecting it was Gu Zixing but upon turning around, it wasn't him. Instead, it was a young man not far from Gu Zixing's age. His black somber pupils dilated to see her.

"How can I help you, young sir?" She strode to the wooden gate and asked.

"Are you... Are you Young Miss Hong Cha?" His voice trembled a bit. Hong Cha was stunned, she shook her head and turned her back.

"Song Cha Hua, young sir." Hong Cha is wary of her real identity. He must be someone Hong Qingning sent to look for her.

"Young Miss, I know it's you. Six years ago, you were gone missing after An fell. That Madame Wen changed your name to Song Cha Hua. You fled Bai Regimen with Nian Xiaoyuan."

"I don't know what you are talking about." Hong Cha stood firm on her lie. She was stunned when the young man appeared before her. Hong Cha noticed the tears at the edge of his eyes, it confused her.

"Young Miss, it's me, Student Lou." He can't believe he finally found her after six years of search. Lou Ying completed his promise. "Young Miss, I was too late. Young Master Hong Ji tricked me to keep me safe, I didn't know the army was falling behind and he told me to look for you southwards. You were never there, you were with Young Master Hong Ji. But, I vowed to Master, to repay everything he'd done, I will do my best to secure Hong Family. Young Miss, I am sorry it took me six years..."

Hong Cha was stupefied when he knelt down, uttering his regrets. Lou Ying is an orphan and her father raised him to be his disciple and a future aide of Hong Ji. He became part of their family and nearly her father's favorite 'son'. She knew how loyal Lou Ying is.

"Student Lou, get up." She assured Lou Ying and helped him stand. Hong Cha finally recognized him. It was really Lou Ying. "Don't worry now. I am happy with my life. Furthermore, I am married to a fine man. You don't have to have regrets."