Arc 7: Royal Deceit (249)

The servants of the main palace welcomed Hong Cha's arrival. She doesn't frequently visit Gu Jiaoyue but every time she does, he is ever so happy. They won't dare ruin her mood and not let her leave. She is the only person that can calm the emperor.

"Xiao Cha, what made you visit? Won't you get cold outside?" Gu Jiaoyue stopped reading reports and placed all his attention to her. After forcing her years ago, he realized he did her wrong. She is trying to win her back with endless doting, so she will know how sincere he is. She hadn't forgiven him yet and forbade him to touch her. He complied and she is slowly relying on him.

"Your Majesty, I heard An was conquered?" She softly asked. Hong Cha let Gu Jiaoyue hold her hand, he looked at her with his utmost feelings but her eyes remained dull as if she is dead inside.

His lashes trembled, he rarely see those eyes be lively again. When he does, it was during the banquets. She accompanied him in any occasion, she will smile so pleasingly even those who hated her will think if she is really a vixen. However, once a gathering is finished, she will revert back to her isolated self, cold and difficult to approach. Unlike the Hong Cha he used to know, that girl likes to be with him back in An and talk to him nonstop, mostly bragging and laughing.

"En. I will have to leave today and inspect An. See if I can help them recover." He wanted her to be happy, that was why he urged Gu Zixing to take back An Country.

The dead eyes of Hong Cha flickered a bit. She came to smile and gently relied on him. Gu Jiaoyue was more delighted after seeing her joyous. He held her in his arms, the bliss in his heart can't be hidden.

"An is a country. It is quite wide and I don't think Tian can guard it well. So, I decided, you will be the Duchess of An, it is all yours." He had been planning to give it to her and see if she becomes more reciprocative.

"I wish to go, but not today." Hong Cha asserted.

"If you wish to visit An one day, ask Zixing to go with you. He is better than other military officials. For now, while I will be away, you shouldn't risk yourself, alright?" Gu Jiaoyue didn't hesitate to agree. He still trusts Gu Zixing. Since, Gu Zixing brought Hong Cha here years ago, he can rely on Gu Zixing to look after her once they reach An.

"Why is Cha'er crying?" Hong Qiuran asked, clearly unhappy. Hong Cha pushed the maids trying to help her stand. She often throws tantrum if her demands won't be met. Hong Qiuran now wonders what made his daughter upset again. "Ji'er, look what you've done."

"What? I didn't do anything." Hong Ji defended himself. It wasn't him who made Hong Cha cry. His father sighed at his reply. "Father, I really did not..."

"You and your siblings spoiled her too much. Now what a big brat you guys raised." Hong Qiuran pinched his nose. Hong Cha is the youngest among his children and her siblings took care of her better than her parents. Even his wife and concubines are jealous since their kids mostly focused on Hong Cha more than them. They just adore her very much.

"Oh, that... It's our fault." Hong Ji admitted with a helpless laugh.

"Why is she crying?" He repeated his question. Hong Ji became sly and his smile turned playful.

"Xiao Cha has a huge crush on His Highness, she doesn't want him to leave." Hong Ji said and pushed the stupefied Gu Jiaoyue forward.

"Hong Ji, you traitor." Gu Jiaoyue's cheeks went pink. He was trying his best to coax Hong Cha but she wouldn't stop crying and blaming him for leaving.

"No, I'm not!" This time, Hong Cha refuted. She wiped her snots and tears. "Why does Prince Brother needs to leave? He should stay! Father, tell him to stay!"

Hong Qiuran had a headache just by listening at Hong Cha. He gestured for the servants to restrain her.

"Cha'er, your Prince Brother is the son of Emperor Gu Hai. His Highness doesn't belong here and your Aunt Qingning will get upset if he won't return." Hong Qiuran reasoned out. He saw her calm down a bit and took this moment to dry her tears and comfort her. "Cha'er, it's not always every time can the same person stay by your side. There will be a moment they have to leave. You have to learn how to understand others."

"But... Prince Brother is the best brother I have..." She sobbed although Hong Ji's ears pricked when he heard her.

"She didn't just say that, right?" Hong Ji muttered as Gu Jiaoyue smiled smugly.

"Deaf." He said. Hong Ji gave him a resentful glare.

"Humph! At least, I'm her genuine bro, I can be there for her until she marries and beat up my future brother-in-law. What about you? You're only a brother for her, hehe."

Gu Jiaoyue's heart was stung.

"Don't cry anymore, alright?" Hong Qiuran was relieved Hong Cha stopped being annoying. "I am sure you will meet His Highness in the future. Say your goodbyes, be good."

Hong Cha sniffed. She looked at Gu Jiaoyue that is patiently waiting for her sweet farewell. Unexpectedly, the spoiled brat stuck her tongue out.

"I'll look for a better guy one day! If you're the moon, then he'll be the stars!" Hong Cha said and ran away before her father decides to have her punished.

"Wow, what a good brat I raised." Hong Ji chuckled at Gu Jiaoyue's misery.

"Hong Ji!" Hong Qiuran was unhappy again. Hong Ji quickly stood up and left.

"Bye, Your Highness. I forgot I have to learn martial arts today!"

Hong Qiuran was helpless he have awful kids. "Crown Prince, I apologize."

"It's fine. I forgive Xiao Cha, but not Hong Ji." Gu Jiaoyue said which helped Hong Qiuran conclude a decision. Hong Ji will be the one to suffer, ah. "General, I, uhm, I really like how lively Xiao Cha is. If she reach the right age, if you will allow to, I want to ask for her hand in marriage."

"Well, well." Hong Qiuran wanted to laugh at Gu Jiaoyue's brave confession. "Of course, Your Highness. If she doesn't find the stars she meant."