Arc 7: Royal Deceit (206)

"Double Seventh Festival is close. When will we go home?" A soldier complained and patrolled with his friend in the midst of early autumn's noon. The two of them both sighed in contemplation.

"My wife is sure going to be frustrated if we won't go back on time." The other agreed with his loath but they hurriedly straightened their posture when Gu Zixing approached their direction.

"Good day, Commander." They greeted. Gu Zixing only hummed. He focused on reading a scroll while a weak-looking soldier followed him. Once the two are gone, the soldiers exchanged glances.

"Who's that boy again?"

"I think his surname was Song. Most guys here refer to him as junior. He's a new recruit, but with how weak he looks, he's only fit to be an errand-boy. But, there's a gossip here about him and Commander Nian. It's pretty interesting." He grinned impishly.

"Oh, do tell." The other soldier wouldn't mind sharing gossips. Though men doesn't like doing this, with how silent the camp these days, most soldiers indulge in storytelling or gossip gathering.

"You've seen that boy, right? He looks a bit like a girl. He always follow Commander Nian and they share the same tent. One time, Senior Zhan Miao went there without notifying Commander Nian. He saw the commander helping that boy buckle his belt! Another issue is that Junior Song went with Senior Zhan for hunting and got a bit injured. Commander Nian took care of him, he even scolded Senior Zhan. Now soldiers who saw how he cares for Junior Song thinks he is, you know...bent."

"Who's bent?" A familiar voice said behind them. The two instantly froze while Zhan Miao stepped closer and held their shoulders. "Who did you say was bent?"

"No one, Senior." They quickly answered. Zhan Miao squeezed their shoulder blade and lifted an evil smile. The two tensed up since Zhan Miao is Gu Zixing's well-known right hand man. They are the closest in the camp and treated each other like brothers. No one can offend him.

"I know you two are talking about Xiaoyuan. But do know, the fishy one here is that Junior Song." Zhan Miao removed his grip and turned away. His eyes were sharp as he headed to another direction. That gossip is no longer new in the camp. Some soldiers regarded Gu Zixing gay. Zhan Miao got unhappy hearing those rumors running about so he made a plan to show them his sworn brother is not interested with a wuss.

He insisted Hong Cha to hunt with him at the edge of the border. Gu Zixing was not around that time so he successfully took Hong Cha far from the camp. His suspicion that the Junior Song they knew is girly; became stronger. She can handle bow and arrows, she is more proficient using a crossbow. However, when facing a real animal in the forest, she injured herself and he have to save her from death. Furthermore, she was scared she can't stop crying!

Even though he wanted to expose Hong Cha as a boy admiring Gu Zixing in the 'wrong' way, he was actually interrupted by Gu Zixing and was even scolded. The result was unexpected from what he wanted. Gu Zixing even carried her, coaxed her and glared at Zhan Miao! How is this happening? Could it be Gu Zixing was bent too?!

*this chapter not meant for offending the third gender. I ain't homophobic.

"We will be leaving tomorrow so pack the things you want to bring. Not too much though or it will slow down our travel." Gu Zixing reminded Hong Cha. He rolled the parchment back which belongs to one of his informant outside the border.

"Does it include escaping the camp?" The young girl propped up from the bed. Hong Cha was lying down there without being reserved while Gu Zixing had his back on her. He was writing something on the desk and while waiting for his answer, her gaze drifted to the pile of books on the table. She then noticed a familiar red book stacked carelessly on one side.

"Presumably. But, our excuse will be hunting." He didn't notice Hong Cha is on the side of the desk. Gu Zixing heard flipping pages so he turned to her. Hong Cha was reading the books he had studied months ago. He guessed she must have been bored but reading books filled with war tactics and wisdom will tire her easily.

"Sir Gu, can I borrow one of these?" She asked. Gu Zixing is no longer paying attention and absentmindedly murmured his agreement. Hong Cha took the red book and headed back to the bed. She had seen this book before, every girls in the brothel have this for studying arts of seduction and pleasure.

Is Gu Zixing reading pornographic books?!

She furrowed her brows and glanced back to the diligent man few feet away. She really didn't expect he have a book like this. He seemed too decent to read such thing but why is this book here then?

Hong Cha shrugged her questions. He's a man, he can't stay uninformed with these knowledge. Moreover, she had read this one too and the madame made her study it very, very well. Hong Cha opened the book to read the contents but her movement paused. Zhan Miao's name is on the first blank page.

"Sir Gu." Her pleasant low voice caught his attention. Gu Zixing hummed in turn. "Have you read this one?"

"Which?" He looked at Hong Cha and was horribly terrified to see the red book she was reading on the bed. His memories regarding the book had replayed, Zhan Miao left that book here and he never took one glance on its content!

"Wow. This one sure is more detailed than the ones the brothel offered." Hong Cha flipped another page. She wasn't ashamed reading it. Seeing is different from eating, this logic has been in her head since she arrived in the brothel. Moreover, with her understanding towards Gu Zixing, he won't take advantage of a girl.