𝑡 ℎ 𝑖 𝑟 𝑡 𝑦 𝑡 𝑤 𝑜

- do you know how to play cards?

[n a r r a t o r]

Do you know that feeling. That overtake in your body once you feel your eyes swelling. The puffiness dry your waterline into tears. And you can't stop it. All whilst your chest feels like it's going to explode. Burning each limb in your body as you try to breathe. You don't really know why.

That exactly how Ryung felt as soon as Sae-byeok raced into her arms. Tightening her arms around her body. Breathing heavily into her shoulder.

She didn't know whether or not if she was dreaming. She didn't know whether she was dead or alive. But if she was dead. She wouldn't be able to feel her warmth radiate off her body. Her lungs filling her chest as she presses her hug deeper.

"I hate you so fucking much." Sae-byeok dries her tears from her cheeks. Trying to regather herself. Processing these thoughts, hoping this wasn't a dream. "What a sweet greeting for someone who has just rose from the dead." She knew it was real now. Because no one but Ryung would answer her in that way.

She held her tighter. Thankful to be able to see her again. To feel her body beneath her fingertips. Sae-byeok knew it had been a day without her but it felt like years of pain to her.

"I love you." She musters. Inhaling the scent. Feeling more comfortable knowing there's a sense of familiarity in her life again. "I love you too." Ryung sniffled surely.

Brushing the hairs from Sae-byeoks face. "I would kiss you right now but I don't want our first time to be in front of other people." She leans into her ear. Brushing the nape of neck as she draws in a tight grin.

"Please stand in a line." The guards formed a line towards the front of the game hall.

"After the voting a player as been revived. After the course of the games three players are analysed and determined for the wild card. The majority had stood at the 3rd box, therefore a player was revived." The guards explained. Trying to help the other players gain somewhat of an understanding of why a person believed dead stands in front of them, perfectly breathing.

"There's only four of you left now, the next game may commence."

The guards carried out a glass table to the middle of the game hall. Setting out a course of four chairs around it. A small wooden box sat in front of each chair. Engraved onto the boxes was their dedicated numbers.

Even dying didn't scare her. But these games did. Ryung grabbed ahold of Sae-byeok to worried that if she'd let go, she'd lose her through thin air again.

"Please take a seat." Gi-hun slowly sat down. Groaning slightly as the pain in his lower back was still very much evident as he wobbled to his seat.

Sang-woo shoved his glasses higher up his nose bridge. Analysing his space before taking his seat.

Ryung didn't hesitate to pull the lid off the box. Trying to ignore the dryness of her throat as 4 sets of cards were set out in front of her.

"You may take the top card off from the first pile."  The guards stood behind each player. Holding their guns accountable, strapped over their chests.

"The player with the card resembling your own will be your opponent. You will play the course of four games in total. The player with the most tootled points wins."

Ryung placed her card onto the table. And to her dissatisfaction she had been paired with Sang-woo. The man she had never liked from the start, a man of dominance and an ego like that should never be acknowledged. He orders in smartness and lacks thoroughly in street smarts.

But unfortunately for Yun Ryung card games relies on more of confidence, influence and strategy. All of which she is lacking in of the moment.

Sang-woo scoffed his dry laugh off. Flipping his card over, only to show the two resembling jokers.

"Let's get started?" She rubbed her palms against her pants. Folding them under her chin. "Let's go." The glass tabled now spilt into two. A two matches being held against one another.

Although it was easy for someone like Ryung to kill or Sang-woo, only because she had no connection or bond with him. Nor did she ever. So she never really had the guilt in winning.

But for Sae-byeok and Gi-him it was a whole other story. He was the only thing closest to a father figure she had. One that she didn't know she adored until now. She didn't want to cry or falter underneath his soft eyes because she knew it'll only make the situation worse.

All she did is flip her king over, and sadly the cards matched perfectly. "It's okay." Gi-hun would have tried his best if this was under any other circumstances. But against someone he thought of as his own child. That's a regret to heavy he wouldn't ever be able to carry.

Sae-byeok swatches her fingers beneath her eyes. Watching carefully as the cards are being shuffled out.

Ryung maintained eye contact with Sang-woo. Smiling gently as his grin weakened, as he saw the amount of pairs being matched in her own pile. This was a child's card game and he was loosing...badly.

Ryung was good at crushing his ego. Making him fear of his next moves. Spending a few minutes processing his actions before placing another card down.

"Are you even trying? Or are you going easy on me." Ryung laughed. Shaking her head as a no. Pouting sadly at the older man. He looked down at the glass table, she had one this game.

Sae-byeok did try her best in winning. But for some reason she hated that she was. She hated that she's only alive because the people she loved thought of her life more important then their own.

It was Ryung, Ji-yeong and now Gi-hun. Because she knew, as much he was dumb. He'd never lose at a game like this.

"You win... again."