𝑡 𝑤 𝑒 𝑛 𝑡 𝑦 𝑓 𝑜 𝑢 𝑟

- partners?

[K a n g  S a e - b y e o k]

I hate it. I hate every inch of me that is giving into her. So slowly and deafeningly and numbing. I hate how her laugh makes my stomach flutter and I hate how she smiles that it makes the folds of my lips upturn. I hate it, yet I still let it happen anyway. And still, I don't know why.

The creases in her eyes create lines along her glowing skin. The lightly traced lines among her lips look a little deeper. My body craned over her own. She looks so peaceful. Somehow in a place like this, she looks so calm.

"Ryung, it's our turn." I look at the empty space between the iron bars and wooden boards. She stares up at me with a lopsidded smile. And there it is. The things that sparked my veins and made the spirals in my body twirl faster and the contagious beat of my heart starts to thump against my chest. I'm sure she can hear it.

"Don't look so down Sae-byeok, you'll make me sad to." The warmth of her hands skims the plate of my cheek. I could feel the humidity aerate off the pads of her fingers, radiating onto my skin. Leaving my face in washes of pink and red.

Ryung crouches down beside me. Running her hands throughout her hair in rapid movements. Her throat vibrates once she hums a delicate tune. She pinches the amber strands of her hair between her index and thumb. Rubbing the dead particles together. "Was it true?" Yun Ryung speaks in a sudden tone. More harsh and deeper from the throat. "What was?" The words slippping the buds on my tongue. The bland and plainly lit taste leaves my lungs dry.

"When you said you don't trust anyone here." It doesn't look like she's bothered. And I hope she isn't. "I don't, that's the truth." no, it isn't. I trust you. The shorter girl lets out a deep sigh. Refraining the spill from her waterline. "Can we just sit in silence. Please?" Her voice was fragile, almost like picking up shards of glass from the ground. They looks so pretty scattered, but once you pick them up they can scar. They'll hurt and be thrown.

I don't reply. I just nod. Trying to hide the frown that's growing on my face.

We stay like this for awhile. Until I hear her voice ring in my ears. "You know what I least like about you? It's the fact that I know right now that you're telling the truth, that you don't trust me. And that's what hurts more. Is that there is no lie detected in your words or in your voice. So theres no hope in that you are lying. But for some reason even though I know you're not. I hope you are. Because I trust you." She left in silence. Into the dead calm until she was suffocated into the laced lies and sentences that I created. Filling her to the brim with things I'm not sure I believe in myself.

:::::::::::::::::::

All teams were brought awake by the guards. Rushing our half asleep bodies into the centre of the room. Rummaging through the bunks and built up forts each team had made themselves.

240 and Ryung stood in front and behind one another. Even from were I stand, only a few feet away they look so far.

Guards came up to our jackets, checking our numbers. Going down each line like files.

"The fourth game will begin momentarily. Let me repeat. The fourth game will begin momentarily. All players, follow staffs instructions and proceed to he game hall."

I could feel my breath compress against me. Five tangled bodies hung in the centre of the staircases as we walked into lines. Shoulders tied back with them swinging from their wires. Heads hung incredibly low, blood painting the apron and shirts of their uniforms.

And their of course hung a man in a cyan tracksuit.

"You are witnessing the fates, of those who broke the rules of this world for their own benefit. And furthermore tainted the pure ideology of this world. Here you are all equal, with equal oppurtunity and no discrimination. We promise to prevent such misfortunes from happening again. We truely apologise for this tragedy."

:::::::::::::::::::::

And here we were back in the white room. Nothing in plain sight for miles only curves and staircases starting from random corners of the place.

"Welcome to your fourth game. This game will be played in teams of two. Find someone you wish to play the game with. With mutual, shake hands and you will become partners. Let me repeat, this game will be played in teams of two. Find someone you wish to play the game with. With mutual consent, shake hands and you will become partners." Please form teams of two in ten minutes."

Our team sat on the staircase. No words being caught on our tongues other then from the old women in front of us. Travelling between Sang-woo and Gi-hun, trying to convince both men to partner up with her.

"I know all of you want to team up with me. You're just hesitating. Why? Can't decide? Should I decide for you all?" No one replies. Just looked at her with a disgraced glance. Straining the women down with a glare.

"Stop embarassing yourself. That won't get anyone to play with you. Just be honest, you don't want to team up with a woman or an old man." My eyes looking down at the two men below me. Who shake their heads in agreement with a slight scoff kissing their mouth, airing their puffed out faces. "Of course not. Our lives are at stake. We almost died playing Tug-Of-War." No supirse here, the priest agreed within no time.

"You're right. There's a reason why God created Eve from Adam's rib. God has given mean and women different role and uses." Making sure to look up at 212 as he said that. "You idiots. This isn't the Garden Of Eden." 240 looks at the men with amused stares. Keeping her head leant up on Ryung's shoulder.

It was getting to tiring. Waiting around for people to partner up and then leave others stranded. So I made it easier. Picking up my feet and heading towards the end of the court. "Hey where are you going?" Gi-hun called back out. "Why? You want to team up with me?" And no answer. All he does is clench his teeth together and stare down at the stains on his shoes.

240 and Ryung follow not to far behind. Creating a trail behind me as we walk in a comfortable distance.

"Wait, hey. 240 where are you going?" The highlighted girl just tilts her head up at Ryung. Flashing a cocky smile. "You two go on. I'll find someone soon anyway." As much to Ryung's protest 240 still held back. Patting her on the head sending both of us friendly waves.

"Team up with me." Yun Ryung looks down with a pointed stare. Her lips pursed between her teeth with a grin on her face. "Why?" Her shoulders leaned into my own. Keeping her touch visible.

"You'd rather hang around people who are probably in here because they can't pay there hospital bills anymore?" She just snickers. Holding out her hand with ease.

"Well, partner?" Our hands fit. Her skin collides against my own. The lines in her palms filling the ones that stained my hands. It was oddly comforting. Something that I wish I could hold onto.

"Partners,"

A/N:

...... Please don't hate me after chapter twenty five :)