𝑛 𝑖 𝑛 𝑒

-the game of hell

[N a r r a t o r]

KANG SAE-BYEOK, didn't waste anytime as she got up from the floor. The sneer in her face deeply woven into her skin as it becomes more apparent on her lips.

"Hey. Can you untie me now?" YUN RYUNG, didn't particularly like the man. Nor did she feel any empathy towards him. But if it could shut him up she'd do anything.

The wind kissed her shoulders, hugging her into a suffocating hold. The thin fabric of her jeans bringing minimal comfort as she kneeled down onto the floor.

But before her hands could even dust the ground Sae-byeok had abruptly taken her wrist. Pulling her back beside her. Ryung shrugged simply throwing her shirt over her head and between her arms. The thickly fabricated jumper warming her forearms as she pulled it over her wrist protectively.

"Hey, I... right. You can get dressed first. It's cold, isn't it?" His body squirmed. His feet struggling to manage the balance as he fell into his shoulder. The quiver of his chin visible as he turns to face the two girls.

"I'm freezing too. Man. Geez. Yes, hurry up." The girls just ignored his groans and the winces in the background as they started to walk away.

His shouts evident to their ears. Ryung just tuts her lips. Looking down at him in pity. "Just let me help him so I can eat?" Ryung dug her hands deeper into her pockets with a deep sigh. "You can starve." Sae-byeok sniggered between her words. Shaking her head faintly.

"Hey, hey. You need to untie me now. Come on hey. Wait! What are you two doing? You need to untie me before you go."

"Why should I?"

"Because i untied you!" Her feet shuffled against the floor. Her vague grin tight on her lips as she tiled her head to the right, looking down at him spitefully.

"At your age, are you stupid or just naive? If I untie you, you'll just hassle me about your money." the short-haired girl replied matter-of-factly.

"That's a separate thing." Sae-byeok has grabbed ahold of Ryung once again walking her along beside her. Tugging her to a halt once he started up again. "Okay, fine. I'll forget about the money. Just untie me, will you?"

"Do you really expect us to believe that, in your state you would say anything." Ryung sped slow circles around his body. His knees shrivelled to his chest, trying to radiate the last of his warmth to his torso. His breaths coming out like steam as the cold casted down harsher.

"Do you mean that?" Sae-byeok conceitedly. "Yes, I really won't say anything about the money." he nods desperately. "How can I trust you?"

Ryung sat on the ground. Her feet giving out as she propped her body up onto the soles of her hands. The thread of her jeans laced with her fingertips as she played with the string.

Every time she tried to think of something else all she could think about was those people. The ways eh watched the fall, their screams filling her ears as she begged them to stop.

She felt each  and every vessel in her body vibrate to an uncontrollable rate, feeling it take over her body. The voices in her head beamed from the crevices of her skull. Their nails pressing sharply into her brain, engraving the bare memories into her freshly cut skin.

"Come on, get up." Sae-byeok holds out her hand. Lifting the short girl up with one motion. —"I swear on my mum's life. Untie me now. It's fucking freezing! God damn it. That hurts." He continued to grumble out curses. His voice drained as it met with the floor.

Ryung went over to his hands pulling the blade from her Swiss Army knife out from her pocket. The thinly cut silver shone into a perfect reflection as the lanterns shadowed over the three.

The blade easily goes through the ropes as she releases him from the hold. "No, don't cut the ropes on his legs yet." Sae-byeok indicates towards him. Moving back slowly as he tries to hop his way towards her.

"Damn it. Come here. My money... give me my money back." He threw the ropes at the two girls. His body losing balance as he fell back to the ground.

"Fuck, give me my money." He whined childishly. "And you thought I was a big baby?" Ryung snickered as she threw the rope back towards him. Shaking her head disappointedly as she drags the short-haired girl along with her.

"I feel really bad for your mother."

His shouts fade from the distance. And the silence settling in, they both just walked side by side. No words needed to be shared, none needed to be.

Yet the silence was never a good thing, especially for Yun Ryung. It gave her mind a chance to think of everything in that moment. Gave her thoughts a chance to widened and louden in her head. It made the chills on her neck run a little colder.

"Do you want to get ramyeon?" Ryung nodded. "Can you at least tell me your name so I don't have to call you by a number?" Sae-byeok holds the door open, letting her slide though, following shortly behind.

"If it bothers you that much, tell me yours first then I'll tell you mine." Ryung lounges around the aisles. Holding the bottle of water between her arms. "Then I guess I'm just going to have to call you 66." She sighs blankly. Continuing to scan the aisles aimlessly.

"Alright, 67."

::::::::::::

After a few fights, and multiple debates. The two girls decided to book a motel. One not to far away from their original places. But perfectly in between.

The two beds sat side by side. The creaking of the bars growing louder each time another decided to move. Ryung stared up at the ceiling. Tracing her eyes over the popcorn texture of the concrete. Her hands folded over her chest. Feeling the comforting ease of her heartbeat.

For once she hadn't thought about the games, the strangers that had died before her. And for once in a lifetime she felt safe. Maybe because the girl who laid beside her was thinking the exact same thing.

"I'm going to meet my brother tomorrow. You can come if you like." The taller girl murmurs softly. Her gaze fall onto Ryung's who just nods in response. Puckering her lips wide, "I'm meeting my sister, if you like you can join me. I'm not expecting you to but it's a suggestion."

Her body turns to face her. Her hands comfortably lying underneath her head. "Sure, I'll come."

"Good."

A/N:

Y'all— I just realised something. The book is already 1hr and there's only 9 chapters posted and we have only gone through two episodes ;-;

Posting the new chapter tomorrow :)

i n d i g o