𝑜 𝑛 𝑒

- the game of life

[Y u n  R y u n g]

The blade pressed tightly into his neck. A thin line drew itself into his soft skin as the tissue tightened itself slowly. The dark crimson dripping from his collarbones— staining his shirt with small droplets of blood.

A small smile relished itself onto my lips as I stared at the deeply cut scars I have seared into his delicate skin. The light outline of his tears stained his cheeks as I brush a gentle hand over his reddened cheek. "Look, it wasn't my fault you missed your payment." I couldn't help but chuckle. It was oddly amusing to me. How quickly the human body tries to heal itself, the way the thick skin around the scar will try to tighten itself and release the oil that's built up as it tries to heal.

But somehow the blood still stays fresh. And the stains still seem new.

"I'm sorry- I'm sorry. I-I just don't have anymore money to give you. I'm empty handed." He sobbed quietly. His chin quivering underneath the slightest skim of my hand. "It's alright, no need to cry." I say softly. Drawing the blade away from his neck.

"But, your visa is over. And your debts are due." The blade cuts around his neck. Drawing a thick line of blood down his body. The pool of sweat on his forehead drips onto his dampened lips. The beautiful canvas that is his body being painted in the darkest and delicates of reds. The scarlet and ruby red of his blood tainted my finger tips as I smoothed it between my fingers. Smiling to myself as I press a kiss onto his cheek.

"Too bad, you were really cute."

His arm stuck between my palm as I drag his body out behind the dumpsters. The trash bags prepped beside it as I tie it around his head, allowing the rest to be filled with his body, hiding it into a deep pile underneath the garbage bin.

I tip him into the rubbish. Walking towards the gas station with a slight pep in my step. My cheeks aerate as I let out a small huff.

Although I earn a hefty amount of money on the daily, I too also owe a hefty amount of money... daily. My money is always sent back to the children shelter where my little sister Myung is staying at. Each bill I miss the more money they add into my pile of debts. And each time I miss the timeline Myung is slipping further and further out of my fingertips, as I try to retrieve her.

My parents had died when I was 12 years old. My mum had died of the bad case of Scarlet Flue that had casted upon her town, and my dad had died at a train stop on his way back home. They had been stopped by troopers and slaughtered.

At that time we had all been separated. I was staying in the kids shelter until I became mature enough to walk it out on my own. Trying to grab the loose change and money from strangers. I started to steal and pick pocket until I had made my own "business" underneath the restaurant I worked at. There was an un-used storage space. I had taken it and used as a gambling area. Practiced against anyone and everyone. Lost a lot to earn a lot.

I learnt the hard way that if people aren't willing to give you what you need then you need to get it yourself.

And that's exactly what I had done. I had fought and killed my way to get what I needed. And do what I needed to do to survive in Korea's harsh predicaments.

I am just a pawn in society trying to knock down those who drag others, cheating my way through the game to win. Some say it's unfair and unruly. Some say it's working smart not hard. Either way I get it done, and that's how the world works.

I carry the gasoline bottle in my hand swinging back and fourth as I slip towards the dumpster. The cigarette in my mouth lit as I take slow drags out of it. The smoke airs my cheeks as I slowly puff out the residue.

I place the gasoline bottle beside the dumpster. Taking out the lighter as I play with the small thing in between my fingers, lacing it within my hands as I drop it down. The blade in my left pocket bloodied. I take the cloth, swiping it over. Polishing and cleaning any marks from the weapon.

Pouring the gasoline over the casted rubbish and shit that had found its way in here I take the lighter, lighting it with a swift move of my thumb throwing it into the flames as it crackles. The embers flowing with the light drafts of the wind.

The clouds carving the city lights as I move back towards the streets. My hooded figure covering my face as I move down the bus station.

I take a seat onto the bench, throwing the finished packet into the bin as I sit there waiting. Swiping aimlessly onto my phone opening and closing missing texts from the bank. "You got to be kidding me," I reply softly. Quickly placing my phone back into my pocket I stare out towards the road. The city lights glow underneath the harsh night sky.

Shoes subtly click against the sidewalk. A man sat beside me, giving me a polite nod as he replaces his briefcase onto his lap. He brushes the rims of his neatly polished suit as he sits down a few centimetres away.

The slick-haired man leans over my shoulder. Quirking a brow as he props his body against his elbow. "Miss, do you have a minute." He queries.

"I'm sorry, I don't have time for any advertisements or a talking too." I take out a hand, shuffling my feet against the concrete. My lips tightly pursed, refusing to meet his curious gaze.

"It's not that. I'd like to give you a great opportunity-" I reach for my pocket knife. The smooth carving skim my hand. I go up to press the blade onto his neck. Sliding it down his chest as I cut the singular button off his suit. "You were saying?"

His throat bobs. His hands smoothen together. Regaining his confidence as I lower the knife.

"Miss would you like to play a game with me?"

A/N:

This chapter is pretty long. But I wanted to use it, to show how her life was before the games. What she may be willing to loose to get that money. And the problems she'd dealt with.

Just wanted to clear that up just in case :)

It can't be just me who finds it awkward to read squid game fanfics... i watched it in Korean and now I can't imagine their voices any other way so for me it's hard to imagine them speaking and what they'd sound like.

But I can't wait to bring Sae-Byeok into the story tho- girl rly hit in a different way.

i n d i g o