Chapter 3

I wanted to sleep in cause it was a long day yesterday and when I woke up i saw that it was 9am. I put some clothes on and made some tea. In Belgium it is now 3pm so I facetime my parents and my siblings. They pick up and I say hi. "Hey sweetie! How is it there in the US?" my mom asked. "It is fine here. I have put my room in order and I'm going to explore the campus for a little bit. Miss Cohen is very nice! She took me to a store so I could get some extra stuff for my room." I answered her. "Give us a room tour!" I hear my sister shouting. I start to laugh a little at the way my sister shouted. "Ok. Wait a second." I walk to my door and I am going to start the room tour there. "So right behind me is my door and as I look to my left there is my little fridge and next to it is a sink with warm and cold water. In front of my sink you have a closet that we got from the school itself. As we walk a little further you have sort of a closet on your right with my school supplies. Than right behind my closet you have my bed wich leans with the long side to the wall. Right in front of my bed you have a little couch and on the ground you have a little wool carpet. And the last thing is a desk right in front of the window with a chair. I also have some plants on my desk and my nightstand and I have some pictures of us hanging on the wall. And as you can see outside my window, I have a nice view of a piece of the campus's garden or something. I can see students getting to their classes and just sitting on the grass under the sun or under trees and so on." "It is very nice sweetie!" my dad said. "And how is home?" I ask my family. "The same as always" my mom says. "Hey Emma, Arthur stole something from your room" George shouted. "Hey, that's not true!" Arthur answers. "Now I get why you said same as always." and I laugh a little. My mom and dad also laugh a little. "Well, we have to hang up. Have fun with exploring! We love you! If there is something, we are just a phonecall away." my mom says. "I love you too an thanks. I will have fun and I know." I reply. They end the phone call. I miss them.

I go outside and stand still for a second. I let the sun soak in and close my eyes. I am ready to start this new chapter of my life. As I'm walking on my own I really enjoy it. I hear many birds sing and it is just beautiful outside. A while ago I passed the dining hall so now I know where that is for later. I have done my walk and am heading back to the dormitory. I am walking past the bigger common room and someone comes out of it. "Hi! Are you new here ?" I hear someone say behind me. "Oh yeah, I came yesterday. I'm Emma." I answer the girl back. "I'm Brooke. Are you from another country or something cause you've got a sort of accent?" "Yes. I'm from Belgium. Thanks to a teacher of mine in highschool I got here. She was really nice and helped me get in this college." "Oh, well that's nice! In wich hallway is your room?" "Yeah, it is. The smaller one. You?" "Same. Wich side?" "Right." "Me too!" and we laughed. "And what do you study?" Brooke asked me. "Psychology and you?" I answered her. "Engineering" "Oeh nice! Well it was nice meeting you Brooke!" "Yeah, it was nice meeting you to Emma!" and we both went our ways.

As I was going to leave my room to go to the dining hall I hear a knock on my door. I open my door and I see Brooke standing there. "Hey! Do you want to go the dining hall together?" she asked me. "Yeah sure! I was going to head down to the dining hall anyways." I answered. "Let me just grab my stuff and then I'm ready to go." "Ok!" she answered me. "Nice room!" she says to me. "Thank you!" I said as I answered her and got my stuff. We are leaving the building and walking over the paths to the dining hall. We enter the dining hall and get our food. We sit down with our food and start to eat. "So... you got any siblings?" she asked me. "Yeah, I'm the oldest and I've got three more siblings. You?" and I take another bite. "Wow. You've got a big family. I've only got one sibling, an older brother." "Any hobbies?" I ask Brooke. "I play basketball. And you?" she answers and asks me. "I play music." "Oh yeah? Wich instruments?" she asks as she takes another bite from her food. "Flute, piano and guitar." I answer her. "Wow that are many instruments. You know on campus there is a music room where all students can take a break during lunch time and play some instruments. Ofcourse no violence with the instruments and you have to take care of them. If there is something wrong with the instrument and you're the reason than the costs are for you." "Oh. That's nice to know. Thank you!" "You're welcome!"

We finish our food and are walking back to our dormitory. "Tomorrow there is a sort of party in the bigger common room where the new people can meet the people that have been here a while and vise versa. You coming?" she asks me as we are walking in our hallway. "Yeah. Seems cool. I'm coming." I say to her. "Okay, I'll see you there!" and we both go to our rooms.