Chapter 8- Those Familiar Sparks

Start from the beginning

But I would never voice those thoughts aloud. They're for my head only.

"Now tell me, what about you?"

"Me?" I squeaked as he closed his eyes, his face dangerously close to mine while he slowly, almost seductively, nodded his head.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten it all already. You couldn't have been that drunk," I scoffed out a dry laugh, rolling my eyes at him as I took a safe step back.

"Whether I remember what happened that day or not, is something that you'll find yourself thinking about quite a lot because I don't plan on telling you anything," I refused to give in to him, not even after his lips fell down in a disbelieving frown.

"Excuse me, pardon my intrusion, but the festivities of the banquet have moved over to the next room for the charity event," Both mine and Lucian's head turned to the side to see a young man dressed in a simple black waiter's outfit as he spoke to us.

"Oh, right. Okay," I nodded, going to leave, but paused as Lucian spoke up.

"I think I can choose which room to situate myself in. Especially in my own home, but thank you for your suggestion, you can be on your way now," He waved him off, and it seemed that the waiter clocked onto the situation much faster than me.

Nodding his head with a surprised look on his face, he was quick to take a step back, spinning on his heel before rushing off without so much as another word, and I curiously stared after him, Lucian's words replaying themselves over and over again in my head.

"Your home?" I cocked my head to the side as he turned to look at me, and for a moment, he looked just as confused as me, until realisation of the words he spilled hit him in the face, and he was looking at me in as much as surprise as I was looking at him.

"Well... Yes." He awkwardly started, itching the back of his neck. "I apologise for the late introduction. I'm Lucian Vandenburg, an ordinary German man who's above average in beauty standards. I'm also quite rich, and influential, amongst other things. It is lovely to meet your acquaintance, Angel,"

Taking a step back, with one hand at his back, and the other hovering above his stomach, he bent down into a little bow, a smile gracing his lips.

I hummed, crossing my arms behind my back as he stood back up. He was telling me about how meeting someone by coincidence three times could no longer be considered coincidence, but fate. But on top of that, it turns out that he's the man I've travelled all the way from Rome for in hopes of gaining a business partner.

"You're Lucian Vandenburg? Are you sure?" I raised a brow.

"Let me just go double check my birth certificate, and I'll get back to you- Of course, I'm Lucian Vandenburg, I know my own name, what were you expecting for you to be this surprised," He rolled his eyes at me as he asked.

"I'm not sure. I wasn't expecting... this," I gestured to him as he curled his lips up to stifle a laugh at my current embarrassing self.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment for both of our sakes, okay?" I absentmindedly nodded along to his words, still trying to grasp the situation.

"Well." He started after a few moments of silence passed between us.

"Well?" I echoed.

"Are you going to introduce yourself to me or am I going to have to keep calling you my BFF for the rest of my life?" I gave up in stifling my laughs with him at this point as I copied his previous action, bending down into a graceful curtsy.

"It's nice to meet your acquaintance, Mr Vandenburg. I'm Angelina More-" I cut myself off, standing up as I ran the sentence through my head, quickly cursing at my ex-husband before continuing in my speech.

"-Anglina Russo. And I'm here today to look for a business partner,"

"A business partner?" He was the one echoing me now.

"Yes. I need to take my company back from my ex-husband, but I can't do that without any strong businesses backing me up. My ex is an influential and wealthy man, but my love for my company is greater than my hate for him, so I need help to get it back,"

"And I'm guessing the Vandenburg family is an ideal candidate for that?" I nodded, feeling slightly guilty for having suddenly changed the light-hearted atmosphere into a murky one, but that little stutter of mine snapped me back to reality.

I'm not here for fun, I'm here to lay my options out in the plan to get my company back. And that holds precedence over having fun right now, fun can wait. With every wasted second here, my company is losing more and more money under the command of Donovan.

And I only hoped that it won't be too late when I get my company back, because I'll stop at nothing to take it back from that man.

...