26

Alexandra's pov

Everyone right now is trying to figure out how to deal with Alaric. My head hasn't really been in the place to help them. This is my last night before Damon and I have to go to Elle. Damon still has no idea. He thinks we're just going to get these tear drops, take them, and everything will be fine. I know it's not that simple at all.

I've been pacing for hours just trying to come up with a plan on how to do this. Nothing has come to me. How am I supposed to go into a fight with someone I considered my best friend?

I hear knocking at the door and I'm broken out of thought and sigh. I go over and open the door and see Matt standing there and I smile. "Hey" I said.

"Hey" He said.

"Is everything okay?" I said.

"We need to talk" He said seriously and I got a little anxious.

"What's going on?" I said letting him in.

"Jeremy and I are going to get Elena out of town" He said and I looked to him confused.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"She's in the middle of a battle right now, Alex. She's human. She can't protect herself. She'll never live a normal life as a doppelgänger. Between Alaric and Klaus..." He said but I cut in.

"What's your plan?" I said.

"She can't be here until all of this is over. All of it" He said.

"Does she know about this?" I said.

"No" He said.

"Matt...this is crazy. You can't just take Elena away from everyone" I said.

"The decision was already made. You can't tell Damon or Stefan" He said.

"They don't even know?!" I said.

"Look, Alex...you can't tell me you want to be here around all of this too" He said.

"This is...this is our life" I said.

"I know about Elle, Alex. Come with us" He said and I just stared at him.

"Matt...it's not that easy" I said.

"It's not forever, Alex. Bonnie told me what Elle has planned. She's after you and Damon. You don't have to go through that" He said.

"What about Damon? I can't just leave him" I said.

"I was hoping you'd say otherwise. I don't want to leave you behind" He said.

"Matt" I said.

"We're going to leave soon with Elena. Like I said...it's not forever. But would you be able to live with yourself if anything happened to her? Because I know I wouldn't. And I know Jeremy can't handle losing her" He said and I just sighed. I run my hands through my hair and then I look to him.

"I won't say anything to Damon or Stefan. This can't be forever, Matt" I said.

"Just until it's safe" He said and I nodded. I go up to him and I hug him and he hugs me back. "Are you sure you won't come?" He continued.