Sorry May Not Cut It

"What the fuck Yeji? You really couldn't pick up any of my calls?" Lia said, relieved and also angry as Yeji walked through the door.

"I was with Ryujin I'm sorry-"

"Of course you were, you know I've been trying to help you, really. But you just keep ditching me for someone who, personally, I think is just a player." Lia said, hands flailing before she paused to take in Yeji's appearance. She saw her torn bathing suit, messed up hair, a lone towel, and a ticket. "Of course, how could I be so careless."

"Lia-"

"You were too busy getting drunk and fucking to even tell anyone where you were. You know, why am I not suprised?" Lia said, disappointed. Yeji felt awful, feeling regret wash over her like a slap to her face.

"Lia, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt your-"

"Yeji, don't be sorry to me, be sorry for yourself. Your week of practice probably went down the drain. Pity yourself." Lia then walked to her bedroom, closing the door a bit hard. Yeji stood for a moment, feeling nothing but guilt for her own actions. Lia was her best-friend, they had their arguments, and they understood eachothers feelings and patterns. But, Yeji doesn't think she's ever seen Lia so mad. Then again, she was often out with Yeji on the beach, watching her surf and even drove her places. Now she thought it'd all go to waste.

Yeah, Yeji felt guilty. Guilty and stupid for following her lust for Ryujin over her head.

She put down her clothing and essentials, about to go to the bathroom and wash up, but made a quick detour.

"I know you can hear me, I'm sorry Lia. I was selfish, I should've come right back here, I should've called you, I'm sorry." She said after knocking quietly on her door. "I will win for you tomorrow." Yeji said before walking to the bathroom. She didn't know what else to say. But she knew it'd be best to leave her alone for the time being.

She spent the rest of the day tidying up their apartment for Lia before heading out to surf. It was nearly dark already, but she could care less. She knew Lia was probably right, that she needed to focus on surfing instead, win some money. But, there's always more competitions to come, she supposed.

The moon was shining enough for Yeji to see the waves. She was out alone in the arguably much cooler water, try her best to surf what she could. She inhaled a lot of water, unfortunately, her head was a little dizzy and her vision warped by droplets. She panted while approaching the shore and nearly clawing her way in the sand. She wondered if she'd get kicked out. She wondered if she'd pass out. But really she wondered about what Ryujin said to her.

"You'll hate me tomorrow Hwang." The words rung through her head, vibrating in her skull and taking over other thoughts. Why would she say that? What was she planning? Yeji then remembered she really didn't know Ryujin that well. Sure, they spent a couple weeks doing nothing but talking and hanging out on the beach, and drinking. But, other than Ryujin's beach life she didn't know too much. The orange-haired suddenly felt very small, and she felt used. Was it convenient timing that Ryujin offered to go to a club so close to the competition? Yeji dismissed her thoughts.

Ryujin wouldn't hurt her. She wouldn't. They had something, she didn't know what, but something was there.

"Hey, you're not supposed to be out here!" A rather deep voice said as a flashlight blinded her. Of course some patrolling guard would find her.

"I was just leaving." Yeji said in defense, putting her hands up before grabbing her board and slowly walking back to the lot. He kept watching her, making sure she was actually leaving, which Yeji found annoying. She groaned into the steering wheel, tomorrow was only a couple hours away, and she didn't feel super confident. She was distracted. So very distracted.