34 Jack

My coffee fueled day was going great, at least until I got a late morning text from Aura's father's phone saying that she couldn't make it tonight. I was disappointed, my wolf was worried, but I didn't let myself get too worked up about it.

Then, Lenora told me that Aura said she wouldn't be needing a dress after all when my secretary tried to get her measurements. My wolf panicked. I had thought we had gotten past her shutting me out, like we were finally starting to understand each other, like she was willing to be with me fully when she was finally ready.

My ridiculously high hopes came crashing back to earth. My focus scattered, and nothing went right for the rest of the day.

Lenora could see it. By three-thirty in the afternoon, she had had enough of me and my distracted mind.

"That's it, boss. Go see her."

"But—"

"You're useless like this, Jack. I'll clear your schedule. The sooner you propose and marry her, the better for you and for Meteor."

"Propose?"

"She's not a werewolf, Jack. She's probably not going to be satisfied by just a bite on her neck and lots of sex." Lenora's face was stern. "Although most female werewolves would probably prefer if their mates put in a bit more effort, too, come to think of it."

I just gaped at her.

She glared at me. "Why are you still standing there? Go! And while you're at it, find out fae marriage customs before you screw anything else up. You're better than this! Ugh."

I decided not to argue with her. She might just have a point. "See you tomorrow then."

As I walked away, under her breath—although I had no doubt that she knew I would hear—she muttered, "Most eligible bachelor? More like most eligible..."

I shrugged and headed down the elevator. I'd driven myself to work since Paul's mate had a maternity appointment, so I skipped going home and went straight to her community to find her. Since it wasn't that late and I knew she worked for her aunt, I decided to try the address I'd gotten off of the packing slip from the most recent delivery of Darrow's fairy juice.

I parked on the road in front of the driveway leading to what seemed to be just another regular fae home, and strode up to the door, hiding my caution and concerns under a flimsy layer of bravado. All my instincts were screaming about trouble, but I didn't care about that. I was especially worried that she was getting pressure from the other fae that made her regret giving me a chance. I had to convince her otherwise, whatever it took. It might not be easy, but I needed her to believe that I was worth the trouble.

I knocked, and I began to think no one was there, when I heard movement from behind the door. It opened, revealing a young fae, presumably Lark, from what Aura had told me.

She looked up at me with narrowed eyes, a lock of pink hair falling into her eyes. "What do you want?"

"I was hoping to find Aura Darrow so that I could speak with her."

"She's busy right now."

"I won't keep her long."

"Are you that Jack I talked to on the phone?"

"I am."

"Huh." She continued to inspect me. Finally she said, "Wait right there," before closing the door on my face.

A couple minutes passed, and I began to wonder if the little fae had decided to just leave me standing out there, when footsteps sounded around the side of the house a moment before Aura appeared, as jaw-droppingly beautiful as ever. She did not smile at me the way I had come to expect her to, and the bad premonition inside me grew. Maybe the problem was not something someone else had done, this seemed to be something I had done. I wracked my brain, but I couldn't come up with anything she might be upset with me over. Sure I had screwed up a few times with the meat and the flowers, but I had thought she wasn't holding my missteps against me.