16 Aura

Jack didn't argue with my decision, although it seemed to pain him. "Can I give you a ride home?"

I should say no. I hated human modes of transportation. The delivery truck was an unfortunate necessity since we fae couldn't fly with large loads, and we couldn't very well fly were humans could see us. "Yes, please."

He smiled again, although it was resigned. "I'm sober, no need to bother my driver when you're ready. Do you want to go now?"

No. "Yes."

He nodded, as if not surprised by my response. He held out his hand in invitation and I could not resist putting mine into his again. It felt right, like that was where my hand belonged, where I belonged, walking alongside him. The feeling would become addictive if I didn't put distance between us.

But I couldn't make myself. It was only after we got into the garage and he'd opened the door of his car for me that he released my hand to go to take his place behind the wheel. I slipped into the seat. While it was of course not the first time I'd been in a vehicle, it was the first time I'd ever sat in one willingly when I could have simply flown.

A necessary evil, so that I could be with him a few minutes more.

If I threw caution to the wind and let myself truly be the mate of this werewolf, I would have to make concessions like this more often. That's what good relationships were. And I didn't want to, but I did want to.

I was so conflicted.

Jack drove us off into the night, following my directions. The speed was a little bit nerve wracking, but I was relieved when we got further out of the city, because even though I was in a cage of death I was surrounded by soothing wild greenery on either side of the highway.

When we got close to my village, I got him to pull over on the side of the road. He looked around the deserted stretch of highway questioningly.

"I can make the rest of the way from here, thanks for the ride," I said quickly, before he had time to ask questions or say anything else. I'd tried to explain the problems that lay between us, but I didn't think I'd adequately explained just how despised his lifestyle was.

Not wasting more time, I surged my magic into my wings, and I took to the air and flew off into the night before I could second guess myself. I conjured a small light and it took me only a few minutes of flying to reach the border wards and then only a moment more to get home. I tried to be quiet as I snuck inside, both so I wouldn't disturb my parents, and also to avoid any awkward questions.

"You look lovely. Where were you?" my mother asked, completely foiling my sneak attempt. She looked like she always did, long blue streaked hair braided and pulled out of the way. She was sitting in her favourite chair and sewing, and her tone was one of curiosity rather than censure.

I forced a smile onto my face. "Just went out for a bit." It would have been a lot easier to explain where I had been if I'd followed my first plan and just explained to Jack why we were an obvious terrible match, rather than getting sucked in closer to him. What was I going to do?

"Oh? With Rex?"

"No, someone else. It's nothing to worry about," I lied. It gave me pause, I never used to lie to my mother, but here I was doing just that. She would be so disappointed if she knew. I wasn't used to being a disappointment. "But I'll talk to you about it later. I should get to bed so that I'm not tired tomorrow. The roses are just about ready for the next batch of wine."

My mother smiled. "That reminds me, put us down for a few bottles of the next."

"Of course," I agreed, happy to have distracted her from the topic of wondering what I had been doing. Not that I had been doing anything wrong, really.