32 Jack

My wolf was getting more distressed every time we parted from our mate and it was increasingly difficult to hide. He was more satisfied than usual now that her resistance had faded, but he also pined for her more, which made it difficult for me to focus on my work. Combined with my continued sleep deprivation, I knew I wasn't giving my company my best any longer, and it bothered me, but I promised myself things would improve once Aura and I were even closer.

The next day I powered through my meetings and whatever other documents needed my attention by guzzling coffee faster than my wolf could process it, and I was relieved when it was time to go home and meet her.

I walked out of Meteor with a lighter step, and nearly dropped my last coffee when a pair of aqua eyes appeared at the bottom of the steps in front of me. "Aura, what are you doing here?" I asked her.

She smiled, and it felt like the warmth of the sun on a cold day. "I thought I'd surprise you."

"I am surprised." I went down the last step and kissed her sweet lips, just enough that my wolf was begging for even more contact. He couldn't get enough of her any more than I could. Even when I finally possessed her fully, it would never be enough.

"Aunt Fern dropped me off since she had to come into town anyway."

"I thought you didn't like the city."

"I don't. It's like a graveyard. But being with you makes it better," she said. Her words wound their way straight to my wolf's heart. He was completely lost as if that hadn't already been set in stone before.

I intertwined my fingers with hers, and began to pull her along to the waiting car. "So, how was your day?" she asked once we were inside and Paul was driving us to the destination I linked him.

"It was good. Got a lot done, very productive. Yours?"

"Also good. The oldest batch of fairy juice is ready to be prepped for sale."

"Mmm, I can't wait to try it. Your brand's my favourite."

She smiled crookedly up at me. "I think you're just biased."

"Not at all. The only reason you got that late order was because I'd tried yours and liked it. Decided to order some for the celebration. Just think, if you didn't have such brewing talent, we never would have met."

"Well, I'm glad." I wanted to kiss her, but instead I simply grasped her hand since we weren't alone.

"Has your aunt ever thought of expanding?"

"Expanding? Like how?"

"Like aiming for a wider distribution?"

"I honestly don't know," she said. "I think Aunt Fern's pretty happy as things are." At least when it came to her business.

"Well, if she's ever needs an investment, I might be interested."

She raised her eyebrows. "I can ask her, but I don't know. That sounds like she would be expanding further beyond the range of the fae, and we're already pushing it. My family doesn't need extra scandal on top of everything."

"More scandalous than me?" I teased.

"Well, no, nothing is that scandalous."

I watched her. "If the ruling fae try to make your life, or your family's lives difficult, I want you to let me know. I won't stand for it."

Her eyes flashed to mine. "I doubt you'd want to go to war with the fae senate over this."

"I don't intend to let them, or anyone else hurt you, Aura. I know you're not a wolf so you probably don't quite understand what this is like for me. You are the center of my wolf's universe. He would do anything to protect you, to provide for you, to make you happy. His instincts aren't always going to be the best solution since they are the instincts of an animal and that's why I control them, and moderate them with my human side."

She smiled. "It sounds strange to have your future decided for you by an animal."

"We do have some say, you know. But when you grow up surrounded by so many happily mated couples you just sort of expect that for yourself, one day. I mean, sure, there's often a ton of stress when people are working things out, but they usually settle down, have some kids, be happy. Although there are exceptions to that, too." Exceptions like poor Kylie and her woes crossed my mind.

She met my eyes curiously. "You probably thought that you were going to be mated to a werewolf."

"I think everyone assumes that. But I don't care."

"No? Not even with all the fae drama I might bring you?"

The fae drama just sounded like another challenge to overcome, as long as she wasn't hurt. "No, not even with that. I'm just happy I found you at last. I couldn't help but worry that something terrible had happened to you before I found you."

"You didn't even know me."

"That's true. But I'm glad that I've got you here with me now." I paused. "I've felt like this from the first moment I laid eyes on you.."

"Really? Well, you had the bond."

"It wasn't just that. If I were just a human, I bet I would have wanted you, anyway. The bond just led me to you."

She blushed slightly. "Well..."

"Why do you dye your hair?" I asked her.

"Well, my hair isn't exactly an entirely mundane colour, so I cover that up. In the past, fae used to dye their hair darker with natural dyes to go unnoticed, but at least this way I can keep my blond."

"A few humans dye their hair fae colours now. You could blend in that way. Pretend your natural colour is dye. I'd like to see it."

She smiled. "I'll consider it."

"And, another thing, there's a charity event I've got tickets for coming up this Friday. Would you come as my date?" She looked hesitant so I quickly added, "It's at an art gallery, I'm not sure if that interests you. Only if you want to."

"I don't know if I have anything to wear."

"I can help you with that. If you want to."

"Are you a dressmaker now on top of being a tech heretic?" she asked me with that saucy little smile that came out when she was teasing. I loved it and I wanted to kiss it. Forgetting we weren't alone, I leaned in and did exactly that.