6 Jack

It was only when I arrived at breakfast the next morning that I discovered that the media had gotten hold of some of the gossip about my fight. Kylie was feeding Nadia some pureed orange goop while the baby proceeded to grab for the spoon and spread anything she caught all over herself, with a real focus on her previously light brown curls. Lys was watching the chaos the baby produced with an amused half smile. I thought it was funny, too, but hid my reaction since Kylie's forehead was furrowed in frustration.

Vander was on his phone, seemingly oblivious to his child's antics. "Jack, what happened after we left last night?" he asked, his eyes widening at his screen, before meeting mine questioningly and widening even more when he saw the bruises on my face. Most of the pain and swelling had gone down, but I definitely did not look like I had come out unscathed.

"What are they saying?" Lenora was going to murder me, right after the shareholders got done with me.

His eyes scanned the article. "You saved a woman from being assaulted outside the gala? Is she your mate?"

Maybe making my funeral arrangements was a bit premature. While this was far less problematic than the truth that I had very nearly given into temptation, the idea they were painting me as a hero for last night's debacle made me feel sick, or maybe it was more to do with all the fairy juice I had drank after I'd gotten home last night to try to numb the pain—of my ego. I groaned. "She is not. And they missed the mark a bit, but more or less."

Vander didn't look satisfied with my answer. I ignored the understanding on the two women's faces and shot him an expression that he hopefully understood to mean I would tell him later, and it seemed he did because he let the topic go.

Kylie smiled sympathetically at me, and while she was distracted Nadia grabbed the entire bowl and proceeded to dump it down her front. Kylie's smile faded with her groan at the orange goop. She tried to wipe off the infant with a cloth without much success and groaned. Vander set his phone down and grabbed their baby.

I decided to change the subject. I didn't want to talk about last night. "I'll give you a tour after breakfast, and then I have to head over to the office for a few hours in the afternoon. Want to come along? You haven't been there for a while, Vander, and neither of you two have seen it."

The three conferred silently, and Vander said, "I'll tag along, but they're going to stay here with Nadia."

"She gets difficult if she doesn't get her proper nap," Kylie explained. "Besides, I think Vander's curious about what you've been doing and we don't want to distract him."

Lys nodded.

Once everyone was finished they followed me around while I showed them everything, Vander carrying his baby with obvious pride and affection.

My home was particularly busy. Twice a year Greyclaw would hold a larger celebration instead of just the night of the full moon, and I'd volunteered to hold it in my home this time. The humans who paid attention to my business were vaguely aware that I occasionally held exclusive parties in my home, but they were of course unaware that the guest list was populated entirely by werewolves and occasionally others in the know. Lenora had most of the contact with the party planner, and between them they would see that everything was in order for tomorrow night.

I showed my guests to the ballroom, and the dining hall that was used for different pack functions, the gym, the pool and lounging area—which both females seemed to appreciate, the entertainment areas, and any other features I thought they might find interesting. I left my favourite part for the grand finale, when I took them down an elevator that was tucked away behind the kitchens and down into the secret basement.