20 Aura

"Aura, I'd give it all up for you. If that's what it takes." He looked deadly serious, his eyes steady on mine.

I stared at him. "What? I don't want you to have to do that." His claim that he would give up everything was not what I had wanted or expected to hear.

"If one of us has to give up everything, I'll do it. I don't care about any of this. Not compared to you, Aura. You're the one who will complete me. I need you, if you'll have me."

My heart pounded at the declaration. He sat back in his seat, looking as relaxed as he had in the restaurant, while my brain whirled frantically. "I don't want to force you to give up your way of life."

"I don't want to force you to, either," he said, his gaze fervent upon me. "You said you love your life as it is, and I want you to be happy. I—" his voice broke off, and he inhaled, before continuing, "If you don't want me, then we can snap our connection and I'll give you up. But that's the last thing I want, so I will change anything in my power if it will make you happy to be with me."

I glanced around the manicured lawn at the mutilated plants, and tried to catch my breath. The idea that he would give up his power and privilege to win me was too much. My heart yearned to give in to him. If this was how much he wanted me...how was I supposed to refuse him? Especially when, if I were honest, I had no real will to do so.

"I do want you," I said, finally admitting what I hadn't even been able to admit to myself before. "And I don't want you to have to give everything up." I didn't want to have to give my life up, either. I didn't know how to reconcile the two, but...

"But can you be happy here?" he asked.

I didn't know about here in this place, but... "I think, I could be happy with you. And the rest, maybe the rest is a problem to figure out later."

His relieved smile washed over me. "You mean it?"

"Yes. I do." It was strange, but my words sounded almost as momentous as a marriage vow. Maybe it was. I didn't need to be a werewolf to know that they took these things seriously. And something inside me felt right.

"Honestly, I can barely contain my wolf."

"Really?" I was curious.

"You have no idea."

"Maybe not. But I do feel relieved."

"Me too." He reached his hand across the table, presenting his palm to me. I placed my hand in his, and it felt as good and right as the first time I had done it. Even if everything was wrong, it seemed to be where I was meant to be. And I felt at peace about my decision, if it had even been my decision at all. This bond was magic, and it was as real and true as any facet of my own magic.

We stayed like that for long moments, his heat seeping into me, and I had no desire to break the spell. Then he spoke, "My wolf wants to meet you."

"Oh?" I wanted to get closer to him, not watch him turn into a furry beast. But it seemed important to him. "Okay."

"It's better if we go inside. The grounds are warded, but it's still safer away from prying eyes." He stood up without releasing me, and helped me up as well.

"Must be hard for your wolf to live restricted so close to the city."

"It's not ideal, because he doesn't get out as much as he would like. The kids from my pack went to human schools so we're used to it." I followed him to an elevator tucked away at the back of his home, and we rode the horrible constricting box downwards. Still, past my unease at entering into the depths of his mausoleum, I was a bit curious where we were going, since he hadn't shown me this part of his home when he gave me his tour.