004 : men of war

The sound of feet striking the peably ground could be heard along with whispers and muffled pants.

Three masked men hid behind a valley of sharp rocks and weeds.

The mysterious men wore matching dark uniforms, designed to make them blend with stones, sand and thick bushes of thorns.

Swords and daggers were attached to their hips as they peeked at the military base 20 metres away from their original position.

The masked man in the middle glanced at the two other men and signalled them to move with his hand.

They were about to move when a thud got heard and they froze.

"Don't worry it's just me."

The men immediately whipped their heads towards the voice.

"I'm just kidding, put your hands behind your back." A soldier giggled and her smile immediately fell when she pointed her sword at the men, unimpressed at how easy and quickly it was to find them.

However the masked men were on a mission and drew their weapons out, running the other way when another soldier jumped before them.

"A lady is talking to you, it's rude to leave without saying goodbye." The other soldier said, gripping a sword in each hand, his overgrown brown hair tied at his nape.

"Yeah, boys. Entertain a lady, will you?" The woman said, a devilish grin appearing on her face, her eyes lighting up with something keen to raw danger and perhaps a bit of insanity.

The knowledge that those men turned their backs on her made her want to laugh.

You never, never ever turn your back on your opponent -enemy in this case- because you're only asking for an easy ticket to death.

The masked men slid out thin sheets of paper, holding them up before their faces.

It was evident that they were reciting spells under their masks as black ink appeared on the paper.

"Spells? You've come prepared haven't you?" The man scoffed, rolling his shoulders back before lunging forward at the same time as his comrade.

The place erupted with fire, metal clanking and swirling smoke with blood slicing through the air like a blade.

Back at the capital the weather was colder than usual, every surface was frozen and was white with a thin layer of ice.

Flowers, trees and grass were frozen too, making a crunching sound each time someone stepped on it.

The palace was busy as usual, however the amount of servants and guards was tripled that day.

Guards were stationed everywhere, watching over every corner of the palace, but especially near the main parliament.

They were standing in a line, at each side of the door all the way to the main gate of the inner royal palace circle.

Suddenly the main gate was opened, guards pulling the gigantic door open as one of them held a horn and blew in it.

The sound reverberated within the high walls of the palace, scaring birds away and making the palace fall into silence.

The doors of the parliament were also swung open, welcoming the newcomers in.

A single man walked in, wearing a long black fur cloak resting heavy on his broad shoulders.