Chapter 60: Elysian Defense Initiative

Start from the beginning

Mirishial pondered Liage's proposed containment policy. "Hmm," he said as he considered the ideologies of the two nations. "I find reason with your statement regarding the Americans. We shan't pursue this containment policy of yours with regards to the Philadean continent, lest we provoke the Americans. We should however bolster our relations with nations in the Mu continent, as well as the Central continent in particular. Does anyone have any further thoughts?"

Minister Pao stood up from his seat. "Your Excellency, if I may?"

Mirishial nodded, granting permission.

"Thank you, Your Excellency," Pao turned toward his colleagues. "While I agree with Supervisor Liage's proposed containment policy, I feel that exerting our influence is not enough. We must back this influence up with force. Fleet exercises and demonstrations of our power should serve well to remind the nations of Elysia of our power! In preparation for potential threats of war from the Gra Valkans, we should establish bases in the Mu continent and the surrounding islands. Furthermore, I think we may benefit from the creation of a coalition, similar to the United States' NATO coalition from their home world. A creation of such a coalition could not only help us contain foreign aggressors, but also prepare for the return of the Sorcerers."

A moment of silence followed Pao's aggressive suggestion while the participants considered the effects of such a significant shift in foreign policy.

Emperor Mirishial was the first to speak, asking Liage about the potential impacts. "Liage, if we were to adopt a more aggressive policy such as the one proposed by Schmill, how might this affect the relations we currently have?"

Liage scratched his chin. He decided to divide his response into several sections covering each continent and the subgroups within said continents. "Expanding our military in Mu might not be received well by our old rivals, but depending on the hostility of the Gra Valkas Empire they may prefer to have us backing them. Militarization of the Central continent may cause concern among the other great powers here, such as Agartha. I do not know how the Parpaldians or Americans will react, considering that the Americans are already establishing many overseas military bases regardless. Their diplomats are friendly enough, so I can send Phiam to prod them for clues."

"I see," Emperor Mirishial said. "Hmm, how do you think our policy may be received differently if we announce the return of the Ravernal Empire?"

The participants reacted with shock. Eyes widened and gasps were emitted as the Holy Mirishial Empire's leaders contemplated the chaos that could ensue.

"Your Excellency!" Liage said, "I must protest! We know not how negatively the people may react! Panic could envelop our cities, as well as the cities of other nations around the world!"

The other advisors nodded in agreement.

Mirishial clasped his hands behind his back. "And yet, this revelation must be made eventually. If we let the people know too late, then our preparation will be inadequate. Need I remind everyone of our civility?! We are the shining pearl of the races! We are the First Civilization Area, and our citizens will act accordingly! I do wish that the Gra Valkas Empire didn't have to force our hand so early, but any further delays in the announcement of the Ravernal Empire's return will result in further degradation of our status. I despise having to do this, but this announcement will allow us to implement more efficient measures to prepare for their return," He paused, allowing his advisors to analyze his words. Soon enough, the advisors' expressions became resolute as they found logic in his words. He then continued, "Schmill, your department will receive additional funds to construct foreign bases — at least one major base in each continent. Liage, your department will be tasked with securing defense treaties and organizing the creation of an Elysian Defense Initiative. Birkburn and Hirkane, your ministry will be made public and will thus receive access to public funds. I need you to draft new budget proposals; your ministry is the most important one when it comes to defending ourselves against the oppressors of old."