19.

The day arrived with the sun shining and birds chirping as two Paxley men and a Crisiant woman walked through the forest of trees, boots walking on the rocky road. The trio finally left Castle Aberleen and were uncertain on where to start the journey, nevertheless, they continued to venture on their path.

Seraphima glanced at the two men who were walking either side of her, awkward silence filling the void. They have been like that ever since they left House Paxley.

She knew about their relationship being an enmity, they were once close. Deciding to leave them both for a little while, she quickened her pace, causing them to look at her with confusion.

"Why in a rush?" Gusion stared at her with a brow raised.

Aamon pursed his lips then added, "Yeah. Is there something wrong?"

She flickered her green orifices from the ash grey-haired male to the chestnut one, thinking of an excuse. Putting her hands behind her back, she caught sight of a sparrow latching on a branch, picking at a blue berry.

"Uh— food! Yes, I should go hunt while you guys stay here. Perhaps, take a shed beneath the trees! We had a long walk so you should rest, you two are absolutely exhausted and—"

"What do you mean? You don't need to worry about us," Aamon said.

"Hey, I can go with you, right? Let's hunt together, Seraph! Big brother will do fine while waiting for us. Here. Alone." Gusion exclaimed with a hint of a mocking tone, ignoring his brother who shook his head at him.

"Oh, no, no, no! I like to hunt alone," she told him with a convincing voice, "You two stick together while I head out. I'll see you later."

"But—" The brothers started in unison.

She disappeared with wisps of purple, lavender and blue that she had left behind.

The two siblings stood idly, looking at the spot where she used to stand. Gusion tapped his foot, his hands at his wait while he looked elsewhere other than the other grey-haired Paxley. Aamon flexed his fingers, silent yet attentive to whatever surrounded them.

He thought of his brother who seemed restless as if contemplating something to himself. He wished he knew what he was thinking but he didn't dare ask him about it. The brother of his was a part of his life, someone who hold dear and reflected himself of who would be if he were different.

Aamon turned to glance at his brother who groaned, sauntering up to a tree and sitting at the base of its trunk. He followed the brunette who averted his gaze from him who told him,"I don't know how I was able to endure staying with you the whole time."

"I've been trying to protect–"

"I know. I know. You've been trying to protect me but it sucks. The way you protect me isn't what I wanted," he cut him off but he sighed aloud, softening his voice, "But you are the one that I truly look up to after our parents died."

The duke didn't speak, listening to the words his sibling articulated then settled himself beside him. One leg straightened forward in front of him while the other bend up, supporting his arm. He let his grey head lean against the trunk of the tree, feeling the rough bark subtly.

"We were so close," he spoke while he saw the tiny birds fluttering before them, playing about in the air, "I was just angry and frustrated with this feeling of being fettered by the house. By the elders. By you."

Those blue eyes of him flashed with a bit of sadness while he was reminded of those times and he glanced at his elder sibling beside him.

"But I'm also sorry. For not realizing it," Gusion softly spoke, "Just like what Seraph had said to me, I shouldn't say things that I don't know much about. She defended you back then, no matter how much hatred I have for you that was pouring off of me. Though she denied it, I bet she was just doing it for the both of us despite not being a part of the family. Despite her being our friend."