09.

The day finally arrived and the stage has been set where most of the House Paxley members gathered around to see the contest between their magic students.

Gusion sat on a wooden bench, distancing himself from the other proud mages. He didn't want to associate with them and he knew that they don't want to either. It was better off that way. He is the incompetent fourth son after all. He tutted as he glared at the elders who were located at the spectator seats.

He would prove to them that they were wrong about his dagger wielding talent. If they despised him then so be it. He would like to infuriate them even more.

As the chestnut haired male spun his blade between his fingers, he caught his elder brother looking at him knowingly. It gave him a sense of anger upon seeing his face. He disliked his presence— no, he hated him. He loathed his brother with every fiber of his being. Even if they were once close siblings, he would never let the elder's transgressions get past him.

What a boring audience. He thought to himself as he tore his blue orbs from the duke and instead, stared at the view before him. The fighting stadium was built on a smooth stone platform with trimmed grass surrounding it. There were large torches encircling it, its flames flickering in hues of yellow and orange.

As he observed the place in front of him, he spotted a familiar golden brown haired female with emerald green eyes who worked with the other attendants. He grinned when the she noticed him too and waved at her. The students behind him watched his short interaction with a servant, snickering about how he was a disgrace to this family. The chesnut haired male ignored them as he focused on looking at his friend who also waved back at him in greeting. A smile etched on her fair face.

He walked towards her through the aisle that besieged the battle arena and spoke to her in such a confident voice, "Are you ready to see my amazing moves, Seraph?"

She propped the serving tray on the table as she replied to him, "I think I already witnessed your moves back then when we fought. I did beat you up pretty good." He scoffed at her retort and she teasingly grinned at him, tossing him a small dessert she've gotten from the kitchen. "But you can just try to impress me."

He subtly nodded while glancing at her features. For some reason, she appeared different to him. Maybe it was because he seldom see her due to his classes. She was shorter than him about a few inches where her stature was below his eyes. Speaking of eyes, he can discerned the clashing colors of the sunlight against her green irises that reminded him of a fresh sprouted seedling and he was able to see the difference between the size of her pupils which exhibited its anosocoria. Nevertheless, it still offered her a look of an intimidating yet a gentle aura. Plus, she possessed an elegant posture that was similar to those women of noble ranks. She may be wearing a maid uniform but she still held the tempestuous flare around her and he admired that.

She was mesmerising to say the least.

He was oddly charmed by his female companion. He ate the desert quickly then stood up straight and declared with a slight joking tone, "Just watch and see. You'll be extremely impressed by this handsome Paxley before you." Gusion watched as she muffled a laugh and brushed him off with a wave of her hand, "Whatever you say Paxley. You better go now, I don't want to miss your 'extremely impressive' moves, yeah?"

"Didn't I tell you that calling me by my family name generalizes everyone in this household?" He said to her as he walked and she half-yelled after him.

"It's not when I'm referring to you, Gusion!"

A chuckle rumbled within him and he knew that she was going to say those words. He appreciated their conversation even though it was short, at least it gave him a sense of solace, knowing that she was there to support him.