Running the bookstore, again.

Start from the beginning

"Why're you not coming to college again?" Travis asked as he took a bite of his mint cookie, "I failed algebra cause I couldn't cheat off of you," he swallowed.

"I have to run the bookstore, you know your brother and Thalia are on their honeymoon," I told him, shaking my head.

"Umm Annabeth? Can I talk to you for a second?" Percy's familiar voice called again, making my world freeze for a split second.

I swung to face him, "mmhmm" I nodded, hoping he couldn't sense my nerves.
It wasn't easy to talk to him and pretend that everything was alright when every-time he opens his mouth I'm worried he's already married.

We went to the kitchen, where no one could see us. He closed the door behind me as I entered the room, immediately remembering the first time we were in here together.
I snuck a glance at him, does he still wear our bead necklace?

The dark band peeked out from underground his shirt. Good.

"So...umm....I was going to ask you," he scratched the back of his neck, seemingly as nervous as I was.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

"Christmas is coming. And Thalia and Luke will be back by then right?" he asked

"Yes," I confirmed

"So...I was wondering, only If you're fine with it. Mom wanted to know, actually I did too.If you would want to come with me for Christmas to moms place? To Manhattan with me?" he fiddled with his bead necklace, a habit that I used to have aswell.

"Oh."

That was not what I was expecting. I could feel my mind already paint a picture, Sally's blue cookies and Estelle's adorable babbling.
I found myself wishing for it.

"I'll think about it?" I promised.

Percy's face fell, but he quickly covered it up with a grin, giving me a thumbs up.

He left the room, closing the door behind him and leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I let out a breath. I had two options, I could either go home for Christmas and face Helen.

Or go with Percy and have a blast. I didn't know how much time I had left with him.

Aunt Aphrodite, Piper and Drew were jetting off to the Maldives for Christmas. And even though she asked me to come, I declined her offer.

I didn't want to suck on their kindness anymore than I already have.

And besides, I'd have to share a suite with Drew and Piper. And Drew's name always tasted sour on my tounge.

Even Thalia and Luke had plans for Christmas. And all stores normally remained closed.

I was still weighing my options when Hazel popped in, her curls bouncing against her neck as she walked in, knocking.

"Hello, sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to check If you were okay," she said, taking another step into the room, "It's just that I saw you and Percy and..."

Reyna popped in behind her, striding into the room, "what happened?" she asked.

I couldn't help but smile, "guys it's really no big deal."

They both raised their eyebrows at the same time. And I knew I couldn't lie to them.

Hazel and Reyna....were the best secret keepers in the group. And Piper, for as awesome as she is, is not that good at keeping a secret.

She was one of the first people I told about the whole engagement debacle, and by the by week, everyone in the group knew. Before Percy got the chance to tell them.

I sighed, I guess I did need a second opinion. Or well....a second and third opinion.

"Percy asked me to go to Manhattan with me for Christmas," I said, and they both Inched closer.

"And..." Hazel asked, "do you want to go?"

"Yes." I answered truthfully, the word waiting on my tongue from the moment he asked.

"Then just do it, If you truly want to go," Reyna said, glancing at Hazel.

"But-"

"Annabeth. Let's be real, we don't know what's going to happen. He could get married soon, or could find a way to break it. But who knows? What if he doesn't? So why waste these precious few months where he's still not married by worrying so much? It's obvious that you both are in love with each other. And so enjoy that for as long as you can," Reyna advised, Hazel nodding in the background.

"And Percy's a nice boy. He wouldn't want to ever hurt you the way he did. Just....I agree with Reyna. If not as lovers, you guys are still best friends. Go with that in mind at least," Hazel added.

They were right.

I should make the most of the time that we had left.
And if it ends, I'll have the best memories of the time. And even though a part of me will probably always love him, I can say that I experienced it. It won't just be a fantasy.

And If it doesn't.....

"You guys are right," I nodded, "I'll go. And...this stays between us, right?" I asked.

They nodded in affirmation and left me alone with my thoughts. Hazel however swiped a cookie on her way out, but I let it slide.

Yes

I'd make the most of it

For my childhood self at least.

And we're friends! So we can go as that.

I went back outside, serving another round of snacks for whoever wanted them. And when I got to the Argo table, that was not the only thing I served.

I slid Percy a note, with a seldom word on it.

Yes.

—————————————————————————

Heyyyy!!

Announcement!!
I have a new Percabeth fanfiction coming out on Tuesday! (8th feb)
So....please check it out when it does!

please check it out when it does!

A tiny preview is up now!

Anyways stay tuned!!!
—S