Chapter 17: The Truth

*One Whisper at a Time*

*Chapter 17: The Truth*

We woke up early the next morning. I didn’t exactly know where we were going, but it had to be somewhere far away. The last thing I remembered was being told I was in a whole different state than I’d been born in. Was that really true?

“Whisper, take this, will you?” Hunter said. I snapped out of my Trans and looked up, smiling at my friend. I took the basket that she held in her hands and placed it beside me. I ran my fingers through my brown hair, trying my best to get out anything that looked dreadful in it.

Madison had gone up to the hill to check for any tracks. We didn’t want anyone to follow us…or at least I didn’t. What would happen if Christoph came after us, wanting to take Madison back with him? Hunter would go with her…and then I’d be left alone, to find my parents. On my own.

Madison soon came back. “I didn’t find anything.” I nodded gently and stood to my feet. The outfit I’d been wearing was now dirty with mud and dirt. I’d tried to wash it out, but it wasn’t exactly having that. I guessed my clothes wanted to stay as nasty as they were.

“Let’s go, okay?” I said to the other two girls, walking passed them. The woods weren’t as dark as they usually were, since it was morning now. I was glad, since I’d been traveling in the dark long enough. I kept looking over my shoulder, hoping I’d find Caleb behind me.

Why hadn’t he come after me? Had he already forgot about me? Had Félix hurt him? I frowned at the thought, but continued to walk. I was so busy thinking about Caleb, that I ran straight into a tree. I fell backwards, rubbing my head with my hand. “Ouch.”

The tree tilted above me, wobbling itself from left to right. I dove to the side before it could fall upon me. My eyes widened, and I wondered how the hell I’d done that.

“You keep forgetting that you’re not human anymore, Whisper,” Madison said quietly, holding her hand out to me. I stared at her pale arm for a moment, wondering how it felt to be a Vampire. I knew one thing for sure – it wasn’t exactly a happy-go-free life being a Werewolf now.

I took her hand and she pulled me back into a standing position. It wasn’t exactly the day I hoped for. Where was Caleb…he was supposed to be my knight in shining armor, but he wasn’t even here. I closed my eyes before opening them again. “I’m sorry. I’m just not having the best day,” I handed the basket over to Madison before walking ahead again.

“It’s okay, I –“ Hunter began.

I stopped her, holding a hand out. My ears twitched, trying to detect where the sounds were coming from. I could hear the footsteps of people…no, not people, but dead people. I shivered, running my fingers over my arms. “We have company, guys.” I whispered, hoping they’d hear me.

Madison grabbed my arm and tugged me down to the ground.

Vampires.

Why we were hiding from Vampires, I hadn’t a clue. There was no way that we could hide. They’d know where we were by the smell of our blood.

Madison wrapped her arms around Hunter, who did the same. I cradled myself, peeking out from behind the bushes that we were hiding in.

“Do you smell that,” a familiar voice hissed. The man turned in a small circle, taking in a deep breath. “It smells like the human. I can feel her heart beating, my Lord.”

Christoph ran his fingers down the trunk of a tree, a smile on his lips. “I know you’re here, Madison, my dear,” a chuckle erupted from the man’s lips. His white hair shined in the small light that peeked through the tops of the trees. His eyes were red with hunger, as if he hadn’t eaten in days.