Seven | girl in new york

Start from the beginning

I hear a door open from behind me. I turn around to see my boyfriend walk out of his room. All dressed for work with his hair neatly combed. I didn't even know he worked on Saturday's. I hate it when he does that to his hair. "I got work." He says walking over to me. He kisses the top of my head. "I probably will not be home early tonight. Maybe all night."

He rushes away from me and towards the front door. I catch a glance of Luke's non-existing smile fade away as he rolls his eyes. "Wait before you go." I say and he quickly snaps his head to me. "Have you seen my phone? I haven't seen it all night." I ask.

He doesn't say anything and walks out. But I need my phone...

"It's in my room on charge." Luke says. I quickly turn to him. "You left it on the floor after you were done playing spin the bottle. I noticed it and picked it up to avoid it getting stolen. I was going to give it to you, but you were so drunk and I knew you were probably going to stay over so I just kept."

My eyebrows pull together. "How did you know it was mine and not someone else's?"

His lip tugs up. "Purple. Glitter. Phone case." He says slowly like I am a child and I roll my eyes. "It could have been anyone's purple glitter phone case." I don't know what the point of this conversation is. All I need is my phone, but since I am here, might as well find out.

"I think I would recognize the iPhone 6 with the purple glitter case, the cracked screen and a photo of my dog as the wallpaper laying around my apartment-pretty much all the time." That was oddly specific. He knew exactly everything about my phone.

"Um... okay. Weirdly specific. Can I please just have my phone?" He nods walking away and into his room.

He hands it to me. Looking at the cracked screen with the purple case. It sometimes scares me at how much he actually pays attention.

I ramble to him a lot, but not once did I ever think that he actually listens or is fully aware of his surroundings.

"Tak skal du have." When I say that, his face drops drastically drops. There is something wrong, I just can't tell what. It's not like I don't ever say that.

He goes back to his coffee at the counter picking up the mug of coffee. He completely ignores me. I stand there with my phone close to me. I am deeply concerned for him.

"Luke?" I ask. He hums in response, pouring himself another cup of coffee. He doesn't ever have two cups this early in the morning.

It's usually one in the morning, one in class, another after class, one just after getting back to the apartment and the last one just before he disappears into his room. Four cups a day.

"Are you okay?" I slowly walk closer to him, keeping my distance from him. He shakes his head taking another sip from his mug.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He shakes his head again. Not using his words.
"Do you want to talk about it, hypothetically?" I offer.

"Hypothetically?" He raises his eyebrows. I nod.

He takes a deep breath and begins. It's a bit shocking that he is actually about to speak about his problems. I also talk about mine, but not once did Luke ever talk to me about his own.

"Okay... hypothetically, I love this girl. A lot! Unfortunately she doesn't love me back-"

"SHE! I thought you were gay." I scream out, obviously joking.

"What, no! I'm not gay! It's not a bad thing or anything, but I am not gay. I'm straight. Totally straight. I was saying-"

"Wait, who is she?" I cut him off again.

"I can't say. Anyways I-"

"Was she at the party last night?" I cut him again.

"Yes, as I was saying. I love her and only her. I just... I don't know why? I can't explain... I-" He takes a deep breath. "Fuck." He mutters under his breath.

"It's okay. You know in life you are going to fall in "love" with so many people before you meet them. Just imagine that every time you fall "in love" with someone you are one step closer to finding the one. You'll find the one that you will be in love with forever and when you do, you will know it."

I don't know how or why I said that. He looks directly at me. His eyes describe the city to me.

"It's like my mom used to say." I take a deep breath. "Als liefde is wat je wilt. Je moet de prijs betalen om het te krijgen." He looked so confused when I said that. I wanted to laugh right in his face, but this is a serious moment!

"And what does that mean?" Oh shit, I forgot I need to translate for him.

"If love is what you want. You have to pay the price in order to obtain it." Now that I think of it, I don't think my mom actually ever told me that. I might have just made it up.

He doesn't say anything. Just stare at me. I feel as if my soul is being watched. "What are you like some poet?" He chuckles slightly.

"You know it!" I say with a giant grin on my face.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

I didn't stay long at the apartment with Luke. I just think it was slightly awkward to stay there in my clothes from last night.

Catherine left around 8:00 p.m to go on a date. I'm happy for Catherine especially since the guy she's with makes her so happy.

I wish I could be that happy with my boyfriend. No matter how many times I try to end things he comes back and I'll never be happy. I've thought about cheating, but I'm not that type of person. The guilt will eat me up.

I just want to experience another persons love. Another persons touch. Another persons desire. I'm tired of Ethan's dull love and his dull tears. It's exhausting.

I want to feel cared for. Wanted maybe. Ethan doesn't give me any of that. He tries to treat me like a dog, but fails every-time. And who the fuck is Kat?

No... I need to be happy. I need to experience love again with someone else. I grab my phone, dialing his number. Nothing.

Fuck it, I'll do it person. I need to get rid of him. I need to be happy like Catherine or even happier.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆