Chapter 52

"Could you smile a little? Anyone who sees you will think you lost the election," Theo grumbled.

Gabriel only grunted in response, then tried to relax his shoulders. "I spent the whole of last night dealing with Ivan's last second attempt to throw a legal kink into the Heart Ring project, the election itself took a ridiculous two and a half hours, you made me sign more documents than I could count and we've spent the last hour smiling at guests while circling this ballroom, excuse me if I'm too tired to smile." He gave a forced smile when an old acquaintance of his father lifted a hand in greeting.

"In my defence, I wouldn't have had to make you sign all those documents if you didn't insist on leave tomorrow morning to Hong Kong. If you just waited a few more days..." Theo didn't bother ending his complaint when he saw Gabriel's defiant look.

"I'm not waiting Theo. I need to find that murderous bastard so that Alex can start to get over the past and come to me. The sooner the better, or I'm seriously going to lose my mind." He pulled a hand through his hair, then reminded himself to keep his eyes on Theo. The only thing allowing him this moment of respite was looking like he was in an urgent conversation with his VP.

"I've got to say watching you squirm over a woman is quite entertaining," Theo grinned. Then he was looking around himself, "Especially when every woman in here is jumping at the chance just to speak to you."

"Stop smiling," Gabriel grumbled, pretending he didn't notice the lustful gazes directed his way. "We are meant to be having an important conversation."

"Right, of course, CEO." Theo laughed, then his brows rose at the sight of a familiar face. "Look, there's Marianne. I heard they are marrying her off to a visiting wolf from a French pack. He's some model she's been working with on and off."

"Oh? I'm surprised Liv would allow it," Gabriel glanced at his ex-fiancee and was grateful once more that their agreement had not moved forward. In a long trained haute couture long dress and with her hair done up in a bun Marianne was undoubtedly beautiful and yet, looking at her, Gabriel felt not an ounce of attraction.

Theo leaned closer, then whispered, "Apparently she's pregnant from the chap."

Gabriel gave his cousin an amused look, "You know, people think you're a savy businessman, but you're actually just a big gossip."

Theo burst into laughter drawing the attention of several ladies in the process. Not only did he cut a dashing figure in his black Armani suit, his cousin also gave off the vibe of carefree spirit meets high-powered business man.

"You've drawn yourself a crowd of admirers," Gabriel teased, picking up a glass of whisky from a passing waiter. "Careful, I don't want to have to extricate you out of another arranged marriage."

"That was one time, and I swear that girl's scheming would put Ivan to shame. Come to think of it, where is the Korovic crew? They couldn't have left because they lost the election?" Theo cast a glance around.

Gabriel tipped his head towards the terrace, "They went out to take some air." He had been keeping his eye on them since arriving at the celebration cocktail and would continue keeping tabs until he had Alex safely packaged up in his plane. It didn't matter that Ivan had no reason to mess with her anymore, when it came to Alex he was taking no chances.

Suddenly the volume in the room dropped and people were turning towards the double doors. Curious, Gabriel took a step to the right to get a view of the person who had drawn everyone's attention and froze.

"What the hell is she wearing?"

Theo dragged his gaze away from Alex, laughing nervously. "I messaged your instructions precisely: Haute couture dress and make sure her calves are covered."

The outfit did cover her calves, fuck, yes they did, but... Gabriel swallowed hard as he devoured Alex with his eyes. The tiny black lace dress had a high neck, but no sleeves which drew attention to the soft curve of her pale shoulders. The skirt was cut so short that a good few inches of skin showed between the pearl-studded hem and the tops of her sued thigh-high stiletto boots. Gabriel was simultaneously enraptured and enraged, knowing that every other man in the place was lusting after his mate.

"Don't do something stupid," Theo stepped in front of him, his tone low. "Look, Angela is walking towards her."

Gabriel saw his sister walk protectively beside Alex. A moment later, Angela cast a look over her shoulder and sent him a wink. Bloody hell, could everyone second guess him now? He took a deep breath.

"Get someone to bring a woman's dinner jacket here, pronto. Something chic that comes to below the knees."

Theo laughed, "You, my friend, are the definition of madly in love."

Gabriel snorted, for once his cousin was spot on.