Chapter 27

Her head was full of his scent, her body felt like it was on fire. What was this feeling? She couldn't think.

"Come upstairs with me, Alex."

What was he saying? Alex couldn't seem to make sense of anything. He kissed her again and the world spun. Was this how it was supposed to be? There was tugging low in her belly, making her need...something. She tried to breath, tried to slow things down, but his fingers were in her hair and the rock hard body that was pressing against her was unforgiving. A whimper escaped her lips as his chest brushed across her sensitive breasts.

Gabriel pulled back, his eyes a stormy blue in the light filtering from the party inside. She blinked, feeling the cold for the first time since he started kissing her.

"Come," he strung his fingers through her own and took quick steps to the dark door at the corner of the terrace which led back into the hotel. They passed the fire-escape stairs, went through another door, then were in a dark corridor with guest rooms on either side. Gabriel didn't hesitate as he turned two corners and came to an elevator marked 'staff'. Before she knew it, they were in his suite.

The room was dimly lit, the electric fire making soft crackling noises while beyond the drawn curtains Boston stood twinkling. She was suddenly nervous. Uncertainty clawed at her, willing her brain to cool. "Mr Moncrief..."

Gabriel stepped towards her, making her back into the room and towards the sitting area. "Are you going to keep calling me that?"

Alex averted her gaze from his hot eyes, hating herself for taking another step back. This wasn't her. She didn't lose control of herself like this...If only she had more experience, she wouldn't be so nervous. The back of her knees hit the big sofa.

"Say my name, Alex."

His husky voice sent shivers down her spine. Alex put her hands up to hold him back when he leaned in. "Hold on, Gabriel -"

He kissed her, swallowing her protest with a new onslaught. His arms were around her, one hand supporting her neck as he arched her over the couch. One second, just one second, her mind called out, but her body had long since given in to the unfamiliar feelings he was igniting. She wanted this man beyond any reasoning.

"Damn it," Gabriel broke their kiss. His eyes closed and breathing hard, he leaned his forehead on hers. "Alright, I'll slow down. We can take it as slow as you like."

Alex blinked, her own excitement calming enough for her to notice the strain in his voice. "Are you hurt?" She reached out to touch his face, confused by her feelings. This was unfamiliar ground, so she wasn't sure if she had made a mistake.

"Hurt?" Gabriel opened his eyes, a question in his blue gaze. "Alex, are you...I mean you have done this before?" His fingers grazed the side of her face, tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

Alex could feel her face flushing with embarrassment. Done this before? How could she have done anything at all when everyone's touch was painful to her? Everyone but his...

"Can you step back?" She couldn't remember ever feeling this mortified in her life. She had to get out of there and quickly.

"I'm sorry," Gabriel ignored her demand and kissed her softly instead. He wasn't laughing at her. His expression was gentle as he ran his hands along her arms as if to soothe her. "I'm an idiot Alex, I never considered...I didn't think. I'm sorry."

Confused, Alex looked at the man in front of her. "It's okay. I'm fine. I just -"

"I KNEW IT!" The screech from the hotel room door had Gabriel spinning round to face Marianne. A spare room key falling from her hands she pointed a shaking finger at Alex."You bitch! You think you can steal my man!?"

"Marianne!" Gabriel's warning was drowned out by the woman's angry cry. Her eyes went wild, gleaming a golden yellow before she growled with anger.

Alex's blood froze.

There, in front of her eyes, Marianne's face began to change. Widening. Stretching. Sequins flew in every direction as her dress tore down the middle and the sound of bones cracking filled the room. In the next moment, Marianne was gone and in her place stood a large auburn wolf. It's angry eyes stared right at Alex, then it was jumping.

"Stop!" Gabriel stepped in front of her, tackling the wolf. Alex could on stare, frozen in her spot, as the wolf scrambled back up from where it had been thrown and snarled in her direction.

"Marianne. STOP!" Gabriel's anger seemed to fill the room and the wolf whimpered, its ears back as it bowed its head.

No. None of this was real. None of this was real! Images flashed before Alex's eyes. Her parents. The wolf that bit her. The man with the scarred hand. She sucked in a sharp breath, inhaling the bergamot smell from Gabriel and the wolf in the room.

Werewolves.

They were all werewolves?

Gabriel grabbed the throw from the couch behind her and threw it over Marianne who had returned to her original shape, but was now naked and shivering.

Werewolves.

"Hah!" A mirthless sound came out of Alex's mouth. Why not. Why the hell not? If a pain-sucking freak like her existed in this world, why couldn't werewolves?

"Alex," Gabriel approached her warily, his hands out to his sides. "Don't panic. Everything is alright, I'm going to make this go away."

She coward back when he reached for her. Make it go away? She looked at him, at his dark, silky hair. His sky blue eyes. The lips that had been kissing her only moments ago. Shit, he was like Marianne. He was a werewolf! "Don't come near me."

"Alex, please! Just let me explain," he took a step closer.

Alex felt like she had suddenly come awake. She had to get out of there! She had to get far, far away! Gabriel took another step closer and that was her chance. Hitting his vital points in quick succession, Alex skirted around the trembling woman on the floor and ran for the door.