Chapter 36

The moon shone bright over Allandale Woods. Gabriel ran under the shadow of branches, his sleek wolf form a dark shadow moving over the frosty ground. He let go of his pent up desire, his frustration and his anger; pounding it all into the earth as he ran.

Alex. Her name vibrated through him as he jumped over fallen logs and ice-caked puddles. He had come close to taking her in the shower, had wanted to turn her and bind her to himself forever.

Frozen leaves stirred as Gabriel broke out from under the cover of snowy branches and ran along the silent lake. How had this happened? How could he have found something he didn't believe in? Mate. Mate. Mate. His wolf reared its head, wanting to howl at the moon for want of her, but he held back. No matter how erratic his emotions had become since meeting Alex, he had not lost himself to the point of breaking pack rules. Protecting his family was his first priority and a wolf being heard in woodlands this close to the city would cause problems.

"Awwoooo!" The howl reverberated through the trees making him skid to a halt. Who the hell dared? Turning to the right, he opened his senses to feel for the members of his pack. The silence that greeted him told him what he needed to know; an outsider. "Oooow oooo!" The female call came once more and he ran towards it. Past maple and oak trees, he jumped over a pile of fallen logs before her scent hit him hard.

Shit. They had arrived earlier the he had hoped.

Pushing his legs for more speed, he spotted the grey wolf in the clearing ahead and lunged. She snarled, snapping at his face as they rolled over frozen leaves, but neither her strength nor her fighting technique was a match for Gabriel. Before they could roll a second time, he had her neck between his jaws and heard her whimper.

Releasing her, Gabriel turned back into his human form. "You appear to have forgotten our rules since your last visit."

Katya Korovic stood, her pale skin glassy in the moonlight. "Alpha," she bowed, her blond locks falling over bare breasts. "It is a pleasure to see you. Is it a pleasure to see me too?"

Ever the flirt. "Your howl is going to cost my team hours of damage control," his voice was stone cold.

"I'm sorry," Katya grinned, looking not the least bit apologetic. "I could't control myself when I came across your scent. It reminded of how we used to play in the woods... " Her eyes travelled over his muscular build, resting on his manhood long enough for him to turn away in disgust.

Most males clambered over themselves when faced with Katya Korovic. Gabriel had been interested himself when they first met; after all she was beautiful, her abilities were well honed and her will was strong. They spent a few weeks together, and while it was pleasurable, Gabriel came to realise that Katya was a selfish creature. She had no real affection for her pack, felt no need to protect her kind and lived only to fulfil her desires.

Gabriel chose to ignore her provocation. "Where are your brothers?"

"They'll be here soon," Katya smiled, picking a leaf out of her hair. "You know how they are. Ivan will be tasting local fare while Peter tries to hurry him along."

Gabriel slipped the ring that had been hanging around his neck back onto his finger as he mulled that over. He did know of Ivan's womanising ways, but he was surprised that the Alpha would have time for such frivolity. There were only four days left to the election, and after weeks of sabotage, it was hard to imagine Ivan didn't have at least one more play up his sleeve.

"I'm returning to the hotel," he said, turning in the direction of his parked car. "Don't break anymore rules or you will be punished."

"Take me with you, I'll wait for the others at the hotel." Katya grabbed his arm, her thoughts coming to him with perfect clarity: Fuck me, Gabriel.

He shook her off, pretending not to have read her mind. "Where did you leave your clothes?"

"South of here, under a giant sugar maple."

He knew the spot. "Go and change, I will pick you up."

When Katya's face lit with a sensual smile, he held up his hand. "I'm giving you a lift, but you will keep your hands to yourself. I have no interest in you, Katya, and if you bother me, I will not be kind."

"Now that sounds like a fun challenge," she grinned. Then she flung herself backwards, turning in mid-air the way that only royals could.

Gabriel watched the grey wolf disappear among the trees with a bad feeling that she would cause trouble for him yet.