Chapter 49

"Alex, stop!"  The whisper pierced through her haze of pleasure.

"What?" Gabriel was wearing a completely unfamiliar look as he thrust her jeans at her.

"Sorry, baby. Can you get dressed - fast?"

The urgency in his voice pushed her into action. "What's going on?" She asked, doing up her buttons while he straightened his clothes.

Gabriel opened his mouth to explain, but was interrupted by a loud knock on the door, followed by an irate female voice: "Gabriel Moncrief, you can't possibly be hiding from me, right?!"

He groaned quietly, then cast Alex an apologetic look. "This was not supposed to happen. Punish me later, ok?"

"Punish you? Wait, who is that?" Alex hissed, stuck between anger and nervousness. What the hell was going on?

Tucking his shirt in and casting a quick glance over her now decent state of dress, he gave her a wry smile, "My sister."

"Your what?" Alex could feel the heat creeping into her face as she watched him walk to the door. Panicked , she looked around for a place to sit, better yet hide, but ended up standing exactly where she was. There was simply no escaping the mortification to come.

"Finally! Why on earth would you go locking your office door..." Angela Moncrief took several annoyed steps into the room, then noticed Alex and stopped talking altogether.

She was gorgeous Alex thought, taking in the sight of the leggy brunette in the power suit. Long chocolate coloured hair, baby blue eyes and a little black mole under her right eye which added a mysterious air to her beauty. She looked only about a year older than Gabriel and her taste in clothes was similar to her brothers; clean lines with no frills and made of the absolute best quality.

"Angela, this is Alex." Having closed the door, Gabriel came to stand beside Alex and gave her an encouraging smile before holding her hand. Warmth crept into her face as Angela eyed their joined hands without comment. What did he think he was doing, and in front of his family no less!? She tried to pull away, but Gabriel wouldn't let go. Instead he continued with his introductions as if they were at a blasted dinner party: "Alex, this is my sister Angela."

Alex had no idea how to react. Angela was just staring without saying a word, which was incredibly disconcerting. She must be thinking about what they were up to with the doors locked. Or maybe she was testing out some kind of werewolf skills on her? Alex was getting herself worked up, but damn it, when had she started caring what other people thought about her anyway? Why should it matter what the woman thought of her?

The answer came to her easily: because she is Gabriel's sister

"Hi," Alex said after another moment of awkward silence.

It was as if Angela suddenly came alive. Her face lit up with a blinding smile, then she was turning to Gabriel, "Go get us some coffee will you?." She turned back to Alex, her baby blue eyes twinkling, "You do drink coffee?"

"Umm yes, but..."Alex looked to Gabriel for some kind of excuse to get away, but the damn bastard just gave her an apologetic smile. He was totally going to abandon her!

"She doesn't bite," Gabriel whispered, leaning in for a quick kiss. Then with a grin, he sauntered out of the office.

"Ass," Alex muttered, wishing she wasn't thinking about how good he looked in his suit even as she got angry at him.

"He is, that," Angela agreed, pointing to the sitting area near the windows. "Shall we move over there?"

Alex followed the older woman to the chairs and was barely seated when Angela dropped the first bomb: "So, judging by what I've just seen, I'm guessing you know about us."