Chapter 17

Gabriel knew the moment Alex stepped out of the kitchen. He wasn't sure when he had become so attuned to her presence, but there was no denying that he had.

Black baseball cap drawn over her face, she was surveying the restaurant, her graceful fingers tapping subconsciously against the leg of her jeans. Taking note of her loose fitting green sweater, a colour at least two shades lighter than her emerald green eyes, he realised that she always chose clothes that disguised her shapely body. If he hadn't seen her in the Hong Kong club with that tiny excuse for a skirt there wasn't a chance in hell he would have realised just how long her legs were or how her slim waist led up to firm, ample breasts...

"Uh, Gabriel?" Theo's idiotic grin broke him free from his arrant thoughts. "I hate to interrupt, but the vibes you're giving off are flustering the waiting staff."

"Bloody hell," Gabriel ran a hand through his hair. "What is it about that woman?"

His cousins brows rose beneath some arrant curls, "Well, she cooks like a goddess and there is that strong element of mystery..." He tipped his head to the side, as if trying to asses Alex from a different angle, "Plus, she is damn sexy."

Gabriel frowned at his cousin, "Are you trying to provoke me?"

"Provoke you?" Theo blinked innocent eyes, "But she's human. You're not interested in humans right? Plus even if you were interested in humans, you have a fiancée. Which makes Mama Fan over there, utterly available." He heard Gabriel's growl, but continued on as if he hadn't, "Luca is obviously interested, but I've got a better chance with her, wouldn't you say? I'm better looking, right?" Theo smiled prettily.

"You're asking for it, pup," Gabriel looked back at Alex in frustration. What was she doing, still standing there anyway. Hadn't she come out to speak to him?

"You're stalling," Theo said, suddenly serious. "I've never seen you this interested in a female, wolf or human. Just admit it to yourself Gabriel and see where it goes."

Gabriel looked at Theo as if he had lost his mind, "As you so kindly pointed out, Theo, she is human and I have a fiancée ."

"You know my feelings on the second subject," his cousin shrugged, reaching for his drink. "Marianne's family might make a good pairing for our pack, but she will not make you a good Luna. You don't find her attractive. You don't like her personality and you find her intellect lacking. I am seriously worried she will make you miserable. Just end things with her and spend some time with Mama Fan. So what if it can't be anything serious, you deserve to have some fun in your life."

"Don't be foolish -" Gabriel started admonishing his cousin for his utter lack of realism when a child's scream pierced the air. He spotted the boy in an instant; little red curls, brown eyes, he was maybe four-years-old and was shaking scalding soup off of his hand as his panicked father held his arm uselessly. Gabriel was only two tables from the duo when he saw Alex grab the child, lifting him into her arms.

The sudden silence was almost eerie. The child's pudgy arms wrapped around her neck while his father stared on with utter confusion. Distraught guests who had been frozen still while watching the commotion, began moving once more, telling each other 'it must not have been bad after all'. Gabriel slowed his steps, noting an all-smiles-Jacques rushing to the table.

"My apologies sir, the young gentleman got a fright. I'll have this cleaned up right away," he motioned for two waitresses to bring new table cloths.

"It's ok. I just. The waitress told me it was hot, but I just wanted Sam to have a taste..." The distraught father looked from Jacques to Alex then to the back of his calm son.

"With your permission, sir. We should apply burn cream and soft bandaging to his hand," Alex spoke gently as Gabriel came to stand behind her.

"That sounds like a good idea," Gabriel agreed, smiling at the boy who looked up at him with wet eyes. Alex seemed to stiffen at the sound of his voice, but she did not turn around.

"Mr Moncrief!?" The boy's father looked surprised.

Gabriel took in the auburn hair and large nose of the middle-aged businessman, sifting through his memory until he recalled the name he was looking for: Rupert Samuel, owner of several large car dealerships and recent widower. "Mr Samuel, it is a pleasure to see you, despite the unfortunate circumstances." He looked towards his manager, "If you will allow Jacques to lead you and your handsome boy to our nurses office, it would be our pleasure to welcome you both back on a day of your choosing so we can arrange a special meal for this brave man."

Sam's head came off Alex's shoulder, his red brows rising in question, "Will there be ice-cream?"

"Ice-cream can certainly be arranged," Gabriel nodded.

Mr Samuel's eyes softened. Relieved, now that he heard his son speak, he held his hands up to retrieve him, but Sam hesitated. "Will this pretty lady be here when we come back?"

Alex laughed in surprise, a short sound that sent pleasant vibrations through Gabriel's chest as she patted the boy's head. "I'll bring you the ice-cream myself."

All smiles now, Sam allowed himself to be set down and stood beside his father.

At a look from his employer, Jacques held out his hand towards the exit. "Mr Samuel, Mr Sam, if you will follow me?"

"Thank you Mr Moncrief and Ms..." Rupert was waiting for Alex to say her name, when Sam yanked at his dad's hand.

"Dad, she's not a Ms, she's a guardian angel."

"Ah, of course," Rupert stood corrected. Suppressing a laugh, he tipped his head in Alex's direction. "Ms Guardian-Angel. I hope we meet again."

A sudden lick of jealousy curled Gabriel's fingers. Why the hell did this woman have so many admirers?

As the father-son duo moved away, Alex turned his way, her head slightly bowed so he couldn't see her expression beyond her cap. "I know you asked for me, Mr Moncrief, but if you wouldn't mind, I just need a few moments to get something from my room."

His sensitive hearing picked up on the light strain in her voice. "I'll accompany you to the elevators."

"There's no need," Alex gave him a quick nod and walked away. Gabriel shook his head, unable to believe the strangeness of the woman. For someone who had asked for one-on-one time with him as a point in a legal contract, she sure was good at avoiding him.

It took less than four strides to catch up with her.

"You look tired," he said quickly. "Don't bother coming back down. I'll have Delores send you a brief on the topic I wanted to disc-" Gabriel reached out just in time to catch Alex who had suddenly begun to crumple. Her hat fell off, her hair spilling over his arm as he looked down at her face. "Hey! What's wrong? Alex?"

Alex's eyes fluttered open, her green gaze meeting his, her thoughts clear as day: Why does he have to be so good-looking?