Chapter 44

"So, when you say rush, what exactly do you mean?" James Blake put down the contract onto the light-wood table and picked up the handless coffee cup.

The Fraser Hotel was one of the Blake group's oldest properties and had a unique charm that was also present in its ground-floor cafe. Redbrick and blackboard walls, hanging mismatched flower pots, bright leather bound books and velvet covered seats: even the cups in Kindle Cafe were all handmade works of ceramic in multicolour. The style was a world away from the cafe in his own hotels but Gabriel was impressed with the variety of coffee bean they had on hand. James had worked his way through three different types since they started their meeting.

James Blake was a true coffee addict and Gabriel realized that, despite their less than positive encounter in New York, he liked the man. He was straightforward, astute and had honest eyes. Green eyes that reminded him of Alex. Gabriel shoved that thought away quickly; this was not the time to get distracted by thoughts of the beautiful woman who was waiting for him back at the hotel.

"I mean today," Gabriel answered without embellishment.

James's brows rose, "Today?" He shifted, fingering the edge of the contract before leaning back. "You want to announce the partnership before the vote at Lupus Corp."

A smile played at the edge of Gabriel's mouth, "You're well informed."

"I came to Boston when I heard your partner pulled out, because I assumed you'd need a quick back up."

It was not often that Gabriel was surprised in business, but he was now. James Blake was obviously a man not to be underestimated. "I did think it was quite a coincidence that you happened to be in town, just when I was ready to fly out to meet you." Gabriel considered reading the man's thoughts but there was no need when he was so forthcoming, "Since you're here, I assume you will agree to the partnership...and that you want something in return?"

James glanced out the long windows that looked to Tremont Street and the Boston Commons beyond. The park was covered in fresh snow and was full of both tourists and locals enjoying hot drinks in the cold.

"Many years ago, I lost someone dear to me. At first, I believed I would never see her again. Then, with time, I started to doubt that she was truly gone. Maybe I didn't want to accept it, or maybe I just felt that she was alive, I don't know. But I started looking for her. I hired detectives and hounded police officers. No one could find even a trace of her." James turned back to the table and Gabriel could see the pain in the man's eyes. "Until I saw her in New York."

James was talking about Alex. Gabriel's protective instincts rose, but he held back his temper, telling himself the man was obviously grieving. "If you mean the woman who was with me at the hotel, she already told you she was not the person you are looking for."

"I know, I know what she said, but she wasn't being honest." James ran his hand through his hair in frustration, then leaned forward. "It's a long story Moncrief. After seeing her in New York, I confronted my ex. Lauren would not admit to anything but her silence was enough. Alexandra didn't die, she was the woman next to you that day, I'm sure of it. I would recognize her anywhere, do you understand?"

Alexandra. He was looking for a woman called Alexandra? The coincidences were adding up, putting Gabriel on edge. What if this man's lost love and his Alex were the same person? What if Alex chose to go back to James?

"No!"

James's brows rose in surprise. "No?"

Gabriel folded his arms across his chest and leaned back in his seat, "I mean, what do you want from me?"

"Tell me where she is," James said slowly. He seemed to have regained his composure; the emotional man of a moment ago was gone and the shrewd CEO of Blake Corp was back. "CCTV records, facial recognition, there are lots of ways to figure out her whereabouts now that I have a date and location, but I would rather go through you. It looked like Alexandra trusts you, or at the very least she is familiar with you. So if you make the arrangement she might be more willing to talk to me."

With or without Gabriel's help, James Blake would find Alex eventually, that much was true. He could stop the man from using the footage in and around the Moncrief New York with one excuse or another, but he'd just be pushing the inevitable. Still, if James intended to take her away...Gabriel needed more time. More time to make Alex love him.

"The contract in front of you is beyond fair. We've increased your company's shares in profits as compensation for the rush. That should be enough incentive to sign this agreement." Gabriel nodded towards the file, "I can't force someone uninvolved with the business at hand to become a condition for the contract."

"I understand your reservations," the muscle in James' jaw ticked, his eyes hard as he looked at Gabriel, "but business ethics are the least of my concerns. I would do anything to see her..." the man's voice trailed off as he got distracted by something outside the window. Before Gabriel could turn to see what James was looking at, the man ran out of the Cafe.