Blank Sheet of Paper

"And he just stares at me
I just stare at him
He don't know where to start
To say he wants it back again
And now one broken heart later
I am still a blank sheet of paper"

FP strums the last few notes of the song on his guitar, and looks up expectantly at Fred who has been listening intently. As soon as he announced that he and Alice had finished their song, he had all but demanded he play it for him.

"So?" He croaks. "What do you think?"

"It's beautiful." Fred tells him sincerely. "I know I was sceptical at first but Alice... she's got some talent."

"I told you." FP smirks, enjoying being right. "She just seemed to know what to write, what words to use, what tune to go with. She's a class act."

"Well I think she'll be putting her skill to the test once people see her name on this song," Fred begins. "I guarantee everyone will be jumping at a chance to write with her."

FP's face twists. "Actually, she doesn't want to be credited on it."

"What? Why?"

"She just said that she thinks this is a song I should take all for myself, that it's an emotional one and I should get all the praise. I don't really feel right about it but she was persistent."

"She doesn't want any sort of acknowledgment?"

"Not even a thank you. It's kind of bizarre but I guess I sort of understand why. Maybe the next one we write she'll take a credit on."

Fred purses his lips. "So you two will be writing together again?"

"Well I think we have to, I mean you heard this song, she's incredible. It'd be stupid not to write with her again." FP senses the apprehension Fred isn't voicing. "You're against it."

"I'm not against it, just-"

FP rolls his eyes and sets his guitar aside. "What is your problem with her, man? A second ago you were praising her and now you're against her again!"

"I'm not against her, I just find it all a little weird. If we don't give her a credit she could take us to court."

"But she said-"

"I know what she said, but that could be a ploy to take us for our money. You're vulnerable, you were vulnerable with her, and unfortunately, with the star power you have, people will take advantage of that."

"The world isn't this horrible place Fred, people aren't all monsters like you seem to assume." FP growls, storming out of the room.

"I'm not saying they are, but I've been around the block enough to know that sometimes things seem to good to be true." Fred yells back, loud enough that FP can hear.

"Trouble in paradise?" Mary teases, she's no stranger to the boys' bickering, and always ends up being the voice of reason. "What's wrong?"

"That Alice girl doesn't want songwriting credit."

Mary raises an eyebrow. "And? I don't get it, why the yelling match over that?"

"Do you not find it odd?"

"Well sure, but if that's what she wants-"

"It could be a scheme, Mare. We don't even know her, she could be using him."

"She's not using him." Mary insists, certain of this.

"And how do you know that?"

"I don't, but FP trusts her and you know him, it's hard for him to open up to people, and he opened up like a flower in bloom around her." Mary tells him calmly. "She might just be some woman he met in a cafe, but she could also be exactly what he needs right now."

Fred let's her words soak in, he knows she's right... probably. He just needs to figure out that fact for himself. "Do you have her number?"

"I can get it for you." Mary nods. "Why?"

"I just want to talk to her, see if she'll reconsider the credit, ask her why she declined it in the first place."

"Is that really your place?"

"Maybe not, but it'll make me feel better about it all. And I really want to be on board with this."

<>

"Mr Andrews? You have a call on line three." Therese, Fred's secretary tells him, poking her head into his office.

"Thank you," He reaches for the phone and presses the blinking line. "Fred Andrews."

"Hi, it's Alice Smith, I'm returning your call."

He sits up straighter in his chair at the sound of the woman's voice. "Miss Smith! Hi, yes, how are you?"

"I'm good, and you can just call me Alice by the way."

"Right, right. The reason I called was to talk about the song you and FP wrote,"

"What about it?" She wonders, her voice calm and melodic.

"Well first of all, it's fantastic. Really you two created something wonderful,"

"Thank you, but really it was mostly him. I just helped channel his thoughts into the proper words and lyric form."

"Well that's the other reason I called, he said you don't want the songwriting credit. How come?"

"You've heard the song, it's so vulnerable and beautiful, he should be the one to receive all the praise and fanfare."

"I understand that, but you did help write it, even he has been adamant that it wasn't just him. You're saying you don't want even a lick of acknowledgement?"

"I know it doesn't make much sense but no, I really don't."

Fred sighs. "Am I able to get that in writing? For legal purposes."

"I'm not going to sue you," Alice laughs on the other end of the phone. "But yes, I can fax it over to you if you'd like?"

"That'd be great. I'll have my secretary send you the information." He replies. "I'm sorry, I know it seems gratuitous but I hope you understand why I have to ask."

"You don't have to apologize, FP is lucky to have you as his manager, if only there were more people like you out there, maybe this industry would be a better place."

He's not sure what exactly, but he can sense some sort of hesitation in her words, can hear a slight hitch in her breath. He pushes it aside. "I'm sure we'll be in contact again soon, take care Alice."

"You too Fred, give FP my best."