Twenty-Two - Jurassic

Artemis stared at the absolutely massive skull mounted on the wall before her. The sharp-toothed jaw had been made to be wide open in a mighty roar to all who dared to approach it, the pristine white bone shining dully in the harsh bright lights.

She couldn't believe her eyes. To actually be able to touch one with her own hands, instead of looking through a glass case or from behind velvet ropes, it was a childhood fantasy brought to life. It was the coolest thing she had ever seen, and it had been right under her nose for weeks!

"You actually hunted and killed a Tyrannosaurus Rex? Holy shit!" Artemis could only stand there trying not to bounce up and down like a giddy school girl.

A bored rumble came from behind her, "Sei'i, I killed that one when I was three-hundred and twenty-three cycles. It was a fierce beast. Fought well. That skull was my prized possession until I killed a kiande amedha Queen." He glanced up from his tinkering with a metallic object, a funny shaped tool in his hand that glowed red on the tip.

It resembled a laser, at least she thought.

"But how? Dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years!"

Rhage resumed his work with a rumbling purr, pleased she was so interested in his trophies.

"The Yautja collected the DNA from a wide number of these 'dinosaurs' before they went extinct and seeded a planet, Orumack, with living specimens we captured. This is the training grounds for some of our Unblooded. The very same planet Zen'tukte wanted for his own."

She gasped, running her fingers down the sharp teeth on the skull. This nugget of information was a lot to take in, but she felt utter awe. Impressed was more like it. Impressed that Rhage could kill such things.

"I feel like a kid in the Smithsonian all over again! Dinosaurs were a huge part of my childhood. I'd beg my dad to take me almost every weekend so I could see the skeletons and fossils. I had all kinds of books and old recordings of television programs on them."

"If I knew you would be this impressed then I would've shown you much sooner my collection." He purred, pausing in his work to watch her inspect every inch of the giant skull.

Artemis scoffed, "I'm just surprised you never told me you've killed a god damn dinosaur before. These things were the gods of my planet before that asteroid wiped 'em all out. Heck, the Permian Extinction dealt a pretty tough blow to the dinosaurs more so than the actual asteroid...but still, this is wicked cool." She beamed, turning to meet his gaze.

He watched her excitedly go on and on about dinosaurs. Her enthusiasm was boundless. He seemed to enjoy listening to her.

"Will we ever visit this dinosaur planet? I've always wanted to see a dinosaur!" She sidled up to his side and laid her cheek against his arm while caressing her swell.

They were in a work room of his that he hardly used, one she didn't know about until today. It was rectangular with a round conversation-pit in the center full of furs of various alien creatures he had hunted over the years. Along the back wall were giant skulls of things she couldn't comprehend, the familiar one taking her interest immediately upon entering. Off to the left was a large metal table where objects and devices were neatly stored on shelving above it. The right wall was blank with only a floor to ceiling blank screen that reminded her of a projection screen.

Rhage was working on a little object he had been toying with since the previous day. It had been a week since she had awakened in the medical lab. Everything had seemingly become quiet again.

It was nice to be home and safe.

"In due time, mate." The Elder Yautja chuckled.

"Babe, that's so cool! Like, a freaking T-Rex!"