Chapter 15 - Breakthrough

As the days dragged on, things didn't change for the better either way.

While Shinichi and Ranran head-on doing their investigation, that episode between Sonoko and Shinichi did little to improvise the reputation between Sonoko and Ran as rumours spread that Ran shedding tears was nothing but a mere ploy to anger Sonoko in going after Shinichi. Even though they were lucky not to have fallen below the ranking of an outcast, many would think otherwise however as all eyes are on the two girls.

Not wanting to put up with all of this nonsense, the girls hung out at the last place they know no kid would consider them to be hiding - the school library.

"Remember when I said someone could've been the one to use this feud to break us away from Shinichi? I am starting to suspect it has to be no one but Ranran as the mastermind behind the plotting."

Ran looked at Sonoko, "What?!"

"Do you recall those romantic drama fairytales we both watch?"Ran nodded as Sonoko continued, "There is always that evil girl who is the male lead's arranged fiance, one that often hurt the pure sunny heroine cause she is getting closer to the male lead romantically by doing all of the shady crap. I think....that is what is truly going on with us right now."

The long brown hair girl frowned, "But Sonoko, that doesn't make any sense. She is too young to marry him! Also, who says I like him like that!?"

"Those tv dramas showed their childhood to be the same, and look what happened?!"The short brown haired girl shook her head."No, it can't be a coincidence. It could be possible those rumours are true."

"But then that doesn't make any sense! Shinichi didn't even like her in the first place! Did you forget how he hated her when she lied about him breaking her leg back then!?"Ran folded her arms and sighed irritably.

"He could've been pretending to love her so she will no longer hurt you anymore, you know how male leads in dramas work...."Sonoko spoke with caution as she went on, "If this is truly the case.....we truly failed Shinichi miserably. The only way out I can think of is......we look into her background. One that will convince Shinichi to leave her and come back to you."

Ran's tears at end of her eyes can be seen. She force herself to suck it up and agreed with Sonoko's plan.

But researching someone like Kudo Ranran ain't easy as they assume.

"Nothing?"

"Nothing!"

Another failure. This makes no sense!

Suzuki Sonoko and Mouri Ran had spent hours trying to find anything on Kudo Ranran from Friday to Saturday, and both girls came out empty-handed! Starting from the school database, leading to using Suzuki's personal family P.I, they didn't find much about her. "Are you sure Sonoko?"

"I tried everything! I even got my family's research investigation team to look into her, and found nothing!"

"How can that be?!"Ran shook her head in disbelief.

"It's true Ran! I don't know what that Ranran has, but even her background regarding her life couldn't even be researched!"

Mouri Ran was honestly shocked by her best friend's revelation for good reasons.

Suzuki Sonoko is the second daughter of Suzuki Shiro and Suzuki Tomoko, who run a huge firm and are Japan's second-richest family. Within her family, she has a crew of people in suits who performed an excellent job of investigating people's backgrounds. It was beyond astounding to Ran that Sonoko's team was unable to uncover even a single shred of Ranran's life, because Sonoko's family of personal private investigators had never once failed to produce any type of information. It tells Ran a lot that Ranran isn't the simple little girl she appears to be.