Chapter 12 - Reflecting

Shinichi is recuperating in his own bedroom as he rubbed his eyes with his arms, wiping away the few tears that sprung upon his eyes at the memory as he sat on his bed on a Monday. He understands his parents, of course, he did. Even so...

Connections....she uses it, this is just.....unfair.

Shinichi clenched his fists. Just why are things so unfair?

He's trying his best, always exerting the most effort he can give to prove to everyone that he's worth something. That he was putting effort to achieve his dream with his own hands. Yet, there was Kudo Ranran here using shortcuts he refused to take and doing so much better than him.

Where did things all go wrong from here?

Was it when he decided to turn down the offer on handling cases through their family connection? Or the part when his two friends-no, his soon-to-be former friends, were very much against him using connections?

It wasn't as if Shinichi was against using connections. When the opportunity arose from his father, he was more than eager to hop on such opportunities. After all, if one is born with such privilege, one should bother to use it to full capacity.

Unfortunately, that didn't sit well with Ran and Sonoko back then.

Constantly pointing out that his privilege has constantly been the reason why he can't connect well with his peers who weren't born into such a blessed life as he was while, and that he was constantly accused of being insensitive towards others, he turned it down out of guilt as a result. But he never could've guessed that upon rejecting his father, his nemesis would end up seizing the opportunity.

And had he known Ranran had lived a flourishing career as The Fox for over a year plus, let alone, learned that it wasn't worth listening to Ran and Sonoko's opinion back then, he would've taken this chance.

......................

Yesterday on a Sunday, a day after the shooting, his parents including his mother were furious with what their son had done to Ranran.

"Come on, you can't still be mad about what Shinichi had done, deshou? He is your son."

"Yuusaku, there are many things I am willing to let things slide as he is still a child, and at times obnoxious which is what I love about our son, but breaking into Ranran's house shouldn't be one of them!"

It had been a day since the incident happen, and his mother had not spoken to Shinichi. Sunday is although not a school day, was a day for club activities at school. Fortunately, Shinichi's suspension at his soccer club gave him an off day.

That being said, he didn't fair well being at home, with an angry mother while his father tries to put the flames of her anger down. It was morning, and she serve breakfast to everyone in the kitchen. Waffles for breakfast wouldn't have been a problem for Shinichi, since it is on the sweet side if she didn't keep giving him the cold silent treatment towards him. Now bite after bite, it tasted bitter for some reason in his mouth.

His helpless father could do nothing but sigh again, watching as the situation between son and mother are rather tense. The son however didn't seem bothered, eating it quietly. But in the eyes of a father, he can tell he was.

For as long as he can remember when he came into this world, his mother doted on him 24/7 as any mother would do to their firstborn. That was evident, given the ridiculous number of photos per year as he grows older (one album about 200 photos if Yuusaku recalled correctly, though he stopped counting after 200), not to mention, the clothes she would buy for him. Spoil and coddled him at times. It was a bloody miracle that unlike other kids his age who turned out spoilt, Shinichi was...Shinichi. And that was nothing more he could ask for as a father.