*CHAPTER 32 : BROKEN STRINGS*

|Manan’s POV|

Betrayal hits hard. And when it is from someone you love, it hits harder. There’s nothing more painful than broken trust and that pain was exactly what I was suffering from right now. My own brother, Cabir Malhotra was the one responsible for all the problems our company faced in the last week. I couldn’t believe my ears when Karan delivered the news to me. I was still in denial. I didn’t want to believe what he said. I hoped that it wasn’t true. I realized that in the past few months, I had barely contacted him. He was the CEO of Malhotra Industries but wasn’t very keen on continuing in that position.

FLASHBACK:-

2 Months Ago:-

‘So, how was the meeting?’ Cabir asked. I had just been back home from a long, boring board meeting.

‘It was okay. Nothing special. You should have been there. Everyone was asking about the CEO of the company.’ I said, removing my blazer and untying my tie.

‘You’re already doing all the work, so there’s no point in me being there. Plus, you know these meetings are not my thing.’ Cabir said, taking a bite from the apple he was holding.

‘But still you have a responsibility here, being the CEO of a reputed company.’

‘Yeah, a responsibility I never asked for.’ Cabir said, rolling his eyes.

‘Are you mad? People put their blood and sweat together to have a position in a company like this and when you are being served that sort of job on a silver plate, you are denying the responsibility?’ I asked, frustrated.

I was never angry at my brother, and today wasn’t anything different. It was just my frustration from the board meeting speaking.

He wasn’t happy about what I said and that was evident on his face but he remained silent.

‘There’s something I wanted to say to you.’ He said.

‘What?’ I asked curiously.

‘I want some time off…to let some steam out and cool down. I wanna get away from all this for a while and come back fresh.’ He said.

‘So, you wanna go on a vacation?’ I asked.

‘Yep. You could put it that way.’

‘Is there anyone special? Is it Navya?’ I asked.

‘No…we don’t go out anymore.’ He said.

‘Good…coz you guys looked weird together. Who is it then?’

‘No one. It’s just me. I wanna be alone for sometime.’ He replied.

‘I don’t want you to go but I know you’re not gonna be any good to me here now anyway and I know how stubborn you are, so you can go.’

‘I wasn’t asking for your permission. I was just informing you. I leave tomorrow morning.’ He said.

‘Okayy….where are you gonna go?’ I asked.

‘Many places…haven’t decided everything but I start off with Maldives.’ He said.

‘Okay…Do you want me to drop you off at the airport tomorrow?’ I asked.

‘No, I’ll be fine.’

‘Well, okay…have a nice vacation.’

He just nodded.

*FLASHBACK ENDS

PRESENT DAY

I remembered the last proper conversation I had with him and that was the last time I saw him. He had been gone for far too long and I couldn’t keep track of him because of how crazy the last couple of months have been for me. I still couldn’t believe he could do anything like this. And even if he did, Why? That was the question that was eating me up. Why would he do something like this? I knew we didn’t have a pleasant conversation last time and he clearly wasn’t happy about what was happening but there was no reason to go this far, unless there was some other reason behind this which only he knew.